[IRPCoalition] IRP in 2014

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Thu Jan 2 13:25:36 EET 2014

Apologies for a double-mailing but should have sent the message below
under a new message heading.
On 02/01/2014 12:21, Marianne Franklin wrote:
> [...]
> remains the one document that already complies with these calls; from
> within the IGF community and further abroad in the UN, and technical
> community where high profile figures such as Tim Berners-Lee are
> calling for a global Bill of Digital Rights.
>
> It would be a shame, and a mistake to my mind, for us to not to make
> use of the same sort of collaborative and creative energy within this
> list alone, and links to wider networks to promote the Charter for
> this role whilst supporting the Brazil Meeting aim to generate a broad
> sort of global consensus. We do not need to re-reinvent the wheel here.
>
> What do people think?
> best
> MF
>

> On 01/01/2014 18:39, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
>> Thanks for these excellent news!
>>
>> I am thrilled to see such talent leading the IRP. May it go from
>> strength to strength!
>> Best wishes to you all for 2014.
>>
>> Olivier
>>
>> On 24/12/2013 17:54, IRPCoalition wrote:
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> The election/endorsement process for the IRP Coalition's Steering
>>> Committee is over (37 people took part with 86.5% support, 5.4%
>>> against, and 8.1% abstaining). Thank you for the positive comments
>>> about all we have achieved this year and also for the constructive
>>> suggestions for the year to come. The new SC met last week so this
>>> email is to formally re-introduce everyone to you all.
>>>
>>> First up, our incoming co-Chair who will be serving with Marianne this
>>> year. Robert has worked with the IRP since 2008, seeing the first
>>> charter through, setting up and then assisting with the website and
>>> social media efforts, and also supporting IRP events at the IGF
>>> meetings. After being on the steering committee for the last few
>>> years, championing the IRP in all capacities, he is happy to provide
>>> continuity and support as co-chair of the IRP. Robert is excited about
>>> growing participation in the coalition, ramping up dissemination of
>>> the Charter in different engaging formats (socio-technical,
>>> educational), and exploring new ways of integrating Human Rights in
>>> Internet Governance at all levels. This work complements his teaching
>>> and research as an engaged academic.
>>>
>>> Next here are the SC members for 2014 (bio notes will be up on the
>>> website shortly):
>>>
>>> Co-Chairs
>>> Marianne Franklin (New Zealand/UK)
>>> Robert Bodle (USA)
>>>
>>> Steering Committee
>>> Rafik Dammak (Tunisia/Japan)
>>> Catherine Easton (UK)
>>> Dixie Hawtin (UK)
>>> Matthias Kettemann (Austria)
>>> Parminder Jeet Singh (India)
>>> Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza (Brazil)
>>> Vik Szabados (Hungary)
>>> Tapani Tarvainen (Finland)
>>>
>>> We are all looking forward to a productive year for the protection and
>>> enjoyment of human rights online - for everyone, everywhere.

Dr Marianne Franklin
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)