[IRPCoalition] IRPC News & Announcements

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Mon Dec 22 14:50:56 EET 2014

Dear IRP'ers

Thank you all so much for the warm and kind words. I would like to take
this moment, on my part, to welcome Hanane Boujemi to the IRPC SC and
Catherine Easton to the co-Chairship. The coalition is lucky to have two
such talented women as part of the leadership.

And I would like to thank Robert Bodle for the last year of working
together as co-Chairs. It has been a real privilege.

And, also all of you out there for all the work, in word and deed, you
have put into furthering a human rights-based online environment and for
getting human rights onto internet policy agendas, across all sectors
and around the world. I have learned an enormous amount from all of you
and for that I am very grateful.

Human rights and principles for this internet, and the internet of the
future remains a big challenge given the many issues that divide us. But
just as many issues - if not more -  unite us about the need to have a
people-centred, fair and equitable, and safe internet for all, now and
in the future. It is a huge challenge putting human rights principles
into practice, but one that is worth it. And whatever our intellectual
and political reservations may be about the international human rights
law and norms within which we base this work, we do stand on the
shoulders of giants in that regard. The IRPC Charter is going from
strength to strength as it supports and resonates with a range of local,
national, and international initiatives.

I look forward to working with our new co-Chairs as a SC member along
with Hanane and other members in the coming year. More news and updates
on the IRPC Charter project, and related events in the new year.

Have a safe, and restful festive season. I certainly intend to do so.

Roll on 2015! :)
warmest
MF

On 18/12/2014 21:23, Grace Githaiga wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > >Dear Members of the Internet Rights and Principles Coalition,
> > >
> > >As Co-chairs of the IRPC, we¹d like to formally announce the transition
> > >now that the election has concluded, first by welcoming and
> reintroducing:
> > >
> > >1) the new Steering Committee Member, Hanane Houjemi
> >
> >(http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2013/panellist_2013_list_view.php?qbofm
> > >mjtu_je=70) who seeks to promote the Charter further among
> governments in
> > >the Arab region;
> > >2) and the new Co-Chair, Catherine Easton, who intends to extend the
> > >Charter¹s influence as a tangible legal framework, from both a legal
> > >perspective and through access-focused activist groups.
> > >
> > >We are also formally announcing the stepping down of Marianne Franklin,
> > >Co-chair of the IRPC 2013-2014. Marianne has tirelessly promoted the
> > >development of the Charter as a tangible published document and has
> > >shepherded numerous copyedits, designs, translations, and print runs of
> > >the Charter, which has been translated in Arabic, Turkish, German, and
> > >now Spanish. Marianne has also represented the Coalition at IGF-Baku,
> > >Bali, and Istanbul, as well as EuroDIG (Lisbon and Berlin), and
> countless
> > >other Internet Governance venues, fora, and meetings leading workshops,
> > >coalition building, advocating and fundraising. She has also worked
> > >toward the implementation of the Charter within policy instruments and
> > >outcome documents (see:
> >
> >http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Fiv
> > >e-Year-Review_IRPC-Slides.pdf) and has worked to strengthen the IRPC¹s
> > >role in collaborating with civil society groups in general and dynamic
> > >coalitions within the IGF in particular. As IRPC Steering Member,
> > >Marianne will continue to lead the Charter Booklet Project. Thank you
> > >Marianne!
> > >
> > >The coalition hopes to build on this good work - to grow the coalition;
> > >implement Human Rights in Internet Governance with the Charter as
> both an
> > >aspirational document and guide for policy formulation; seek further
> > >partnerships to providing netrights education and outreach; and to
> > >enhance and expand on coalition building at the local, state, and
> > >regional level to uphold Human Rights on the Internet for all.
> > >
> > >Happy New Year and Best Wishes!
> > >
> > >Robert and Catherine
> > >
> > >--
> > >Robert Bodle, Ph.D.
> > >Associate Professor
> > >Department of Communication and New Media Studies
> > >Mount St. Joseph University
> > >Cincinnati, OH45233-1670
> > >(513) 244-4829
> > >robert_bodle at mail.msj.edu
> > >
> > >Adjunct Professor
> > >Department of Media, Journalism and Film
> > >Miami University
> > >Oxford, OH45056
> > >bodler at miamioh.edu
> > >
> > >Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)

Marianne Franklin, PhD
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Steering Committee/Former Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)