[IRPCoalition] [governance] Re: [bestbits] Looking for your input - NetMundial Initiative

Hanane Boujemi hananeb at diplomacy.edu
Mon Aug 25 14:17:29 EEST 2014

Thanks Carolina for keeping us in the loop. While the new list of invited
people is more balanced ( unlike the leaked doc). I think specific
attention has to be allocated to having a concrete outcome out of this
meeting which will feed into the whole process.  The list of concerns and
what Nneena added is in my opinion sufficient .

Hanane

> [...]
>>    beyond
>>    <https://webwewant.org/news/Announcing_the_Web_25_Year_of_Action_Grants>.
>>    Through our Web Index <http://www.thewebindex.org/> project, we’re
>>    tracking the performance of countries around the world on digital rights
>>    issues such as access, affordability, and online privacy. How can you help?
>>    - *Include more voices.* Technical guidance from “Internet Governance
>>    Experts” is critical in this field to avoid policy blunders, but the
>>    conversation is too important to be left to them alone. Representatives of
>>    other constituencies need to turn their minds to this issue and put forward
>>    solutions. The World Economic Forum initiative will reach wider business
>>    interests beyond the tech sector, which is positive in itself — but not
>>    everybody gets to go to Davos. We need equally creative and well-resourced
>>    ways to engage small-medium enterprises and start-ups, union leaders, the
>>    arts and culture community, anti-poverty campaigners, women’s rights
>>    groups, youth movements, parliamentarians and more.
>>    - *Open up.* Internet governance affects everyone, and so discussions
>>    should happen in the open, supported by transparent mechanisms that
>>    strengthen the accountability of governments, technical bodies, and
>>    technology corporations to the public. The Internet Governance Forum is to
>>    be commended for live-streaming their sessions, and we call on the
>>    organisers of the NETmundial Initiative and the Plenipotentiary to do the
>>    same. We’ll be providing full and honest write-ups of all our participation
>>    here too.
>>    - *Invest in national level change. *International norms are
>>    important — and we’ve gone as far as to call for a global “Magna Carta” for
>>    the Internet. Yet it is national level laws, regulations, business
>>    practices, and market incentives that most powerfully shape the
>>    Internet—for better or worse. It’s time for a concerted effort to build and
>>    pass an “Internet bill of rights” in every country that will enshrine
>>    citizens’ rights to access, privacy, and freedom of expression and
>>    association online. To do this requires sustained attention, political
>>    leadership, and investment in the capacity and resources of local civil
>>    society.
>>
>> SNIP =  = =
>>

>> Nnenna
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
>> wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Adam,
>>>
>>> good questions. I also support Rauls approach. Key point at this stage
>>> is to broaden the support for the IGF and NMI is one great option to do
>>> this. BTW, I got yesterday an invitation to join the Geneva meeting but I
>>> can not go due to our 14th Meeting of the ICANN Studienkreis in Sofia
>>> (Bulgaria), August 28/29.
>>>
>>> In the light of the Monday Meeting in Istanbul we should use the IGC
>>> Meeting on Friday to enhance a CSmid-term strategy.

>>> Betreff: [governance] Re: [bestbits] Looking for your input - NetMundial