[IRPCoalition] IRP Coalition Co.Chairs; Message #1

Becky Lentz, Dr. roberta.lentz at mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 28 16:39:49 EET 2012

Dear colleagues,

Greetings from Montreal, Canada, and thank you for the work you¹ve done to
provide opportunities for participation in this important work.
Congratulations Marianne and Matthias on your chair-ships as well!

Working from a university setting where I hosted Giganet¹s regional workshop
here in 2010 and where I teach Internet governance and finding very
enthusiastic student uptake, I¹d like to volunteer to help with the
educational item that Marianne and Matthias listed. That I¹m also working
with Global Partners on capacity building research and pilot projects, it
seems a good entry point for us here. If there¹s already an educational
committee, please consider me a willing new member; if not, I¹ll happily
volunteer to help organize and lead one. Probably best would be some kind of
team that¹s geographically diverse...?

> b) Educational: Gathering knowledge about curricula around IG and human rights
> in which the Charter, along with other rights-based projects from members, can
> be included. Here work with the Ten Principles as an outreach and educational
> tool as an access point to the fuller Charter. All imaginative ideas and
> concrete educational aids welcome; perhaps a list of current courses in which
> the Charter or HR issues around IG feature would be worth compiling.

I¹m also going to be polling students to gauge interest and time to help
with a Young People¹s section of the Coalition.

> f) Outreach; a Young People's section of the Coalition was one idea mooted; we
> co-Chairs support this idea. Anyone want to take the lead here?

All the best, and I hope to meet many of you at some point at a future
international meeting,
Becky Lentz
--------
Becky Lentz, PhD
Assistant Professor of Communication and Public Policy and
Undergraduate Program Director for the Minor Concentration in Communication
Studies
Department of Art History and Communication Studies
McGill University
853 Sherbrooke Street West, Arts Building, W-265
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 0G5
514.398.4995
Faculty page: http://www.mcgill.ca/ahcs/faculty/lentz
Students¹ work: http://openmediamcgill.wordpress.com/

From: Marianne Franklin <m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:00:53 +0100
To: "irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org"
<irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org>
Subject: [IRPCoalition] IRP Coalition Co.Chairs; Message #1

Dear IRP Coalition members,

It is a pleasure for both of us to be co-Chairing the IRP Coalition for the
coming year and we are very pleased to be able to greet you all on the new
mailing list. Thank you for your patience with the various emails sent to
you about this in the last couple of weeks. Before we sum up the tasks ahead
of us and ideas for moving forward that came from the IRP Meeting in Baku,
we would like to take convey our thanks and gratitude to Dixie Hawtin who
co-Chaired the coalition this past year. Hers is a hard act to follow so we
hope to be able to maintain her standard and refined and diplomatic approach
to this work. Thank you Dixie!

The rest of this longish mail is an overview of the IRP Meeting outcomes and
look ahead. We will be sending call-outs and requests separately for each
key piece of business to keep things clear.

1) BAKU IGF:

The IGF 2012 Baku meeting is behind us and as you all know there are
important meetings coming up in which the IRP Coalition (as a whole and also
in partnership with coalition members who are working on specific projects)
can and needs to be involved in. The main outcome of the IRP Meeting as
Dixie noted is that the meeting (about 30-35 present) endorsed the
Coalition's work on the IRP Charter and Ten Principles. Promoting both these
documents was considered a major objective. Another one was for the
coalition to come up with ways to unpack the Charter itself in terms of
taking specific clauses as projects or themes for interventions in relevant
meetings.

This work is something the Charter can call its own as well as coordinate
and work with Coalition members who are doing their own work in these area
e.g. APC, the Best Bits initiative, ITforChange, and partners in Brazil to
name but a few.

There are minutes of the meeting and we can send this around if people want
them. So, to turn to tasks ahead:

2) TASKS AHEAD & MOVING FORWARD

a) STEERING COMMITTEE elections. Thank you to all of those who have been or
have self-nominated for the new Steering Committee. We will be back about
this in a separate email as we hope to have a new committee voted in before
the end of the year.

We also have a number of new members, and people who would like to join. If
anyone on this list is newly arrived do introduce yourself!

b) IRP Coalition IGF REPORT; if people could continue sending through their
impressions and thoughts about the Baku meeting for the report that would be
helpful. We will then send the draft through for feedback and refining in
the usual way. This report is about what the coalition did but also provides
feedback to the IGF secretariat.

c) UPCOMING EVENTS: The following are places and meetings in which we have
already been active, or involved with others in activities. Others are ones
we might want to consider in terms of unpacking the Charter, or creating
synergies with others.

- WCIT 2012; Is there anyone who is going who would be willing to act as
rapporteur for the Coalition? This event is next week so we have little time
to organize a coalition event.

- UNESCO WSIS +10 Meeting in Paris this coming February. The call for panels
is out and the deadline in 10th December. This might be a good opportunity
for members who are involved in education and outreach around human rights
and the Internet to move the IRP Charter on around the education and
diversity clauses. These need work and have had relatively little attention.
See
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/flagship-project-
activities/unesco-and-wsis/wsis-10-review-meeting/

Is anyone already involved or interested in organizing a Coalition panel
there? Please let us all know.

-EURODIG: the European Dialogue on Internet Governance will be in Lisbon
next year in May. The coalition has been very active in these meetings; the
new Council of Europe Expert Group initiative is where the IRP Charter has
clearly a concrete role to play. Any coalition members interested in
organizing something for this event, please let us know.

- IGF 2013: this is in Bali. Indonesia. It is a while away but organizing
events takes place ahead so we will keep you posted. If people or
organizations are planning anything around Bali, good to let us know for
coordination purposes.

- Are the any other events to consider?

3) MOVING FORWARD and PROJECTS

A list below based on the meeting outcome and discussions since around how
the Coalition can move forward and also continue the work started with the
IRP Charter as the baseline document.

a) Promoting and working with the IRP Charter more thoroughly by breaking it
down into 'byte-sized' projects around one or more clauses. Flesh these out,
debate, develop and apply accordingly.

b) Educational: Gathering knowledge about curricula around IG and human
rights in which the Charter, along with other rights-based projects from
members, can be included. Here work with the Ten Principles as an outreach
and educational tool as an access point to the fuller Charter. All
imaginative ideas and concrete educational aids welcome; perhaps a list of
current courses in which the Charter or HR issues around IG feature would be
worth compiling.

c) Development and Refinement of the IRP Charter itself; Formatting the
Charter (already 30 pages, including commentaries, appendices, and the
preambles/Ten Principles) to have it easier to read and access as a whole. A
one-stop document project that needs coordination and some
editing/publishing skills

d) Creating collaborative links with coalition member-organizations and
others beyond the coalition.

e) The mailing list: recreate a space for constructive and lively debate
around issues of common concern that need discussion and also organize and
liaise on specific projects.

f) Outreach; a Young People's section of the Coalition was one idea mooted;
we co-Chairs support this idea. Anyone want to take the lead here?

g) Continue developing the content on the IRP website (www.irpcharter.org
new list server; make more use of the coalition's Facebook and Twitter
feeds.

All material for these three outlets can be sent to Minda Moreira and Keith
Hubbard (mindamoreira at hotmail.com; keith.a.hubbard at gmail.com)

ANY OTHER BUSINESS? Let us know

That's all for now. Any suggestions or comments gladly received. We'll be
back with the Steering Committee nominations and voting schedule.

Looking forward to working with you all.

warm regards
Marianne Franklin & Matthias Kettemann
Co-Chairs IRP Coalition.

--

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader

 Dr Matthias C. Kettemann, LLM (Harvard)
 Institute of International Law and International Relations
 University of Graz, Austria
 T | +43 316 380 6711
 E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
 Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Google+