[IRP] Human Rights at the IGF

M.I.Franklin cos02mf
Mon Mar 19 11:43:04 EET 2012

Dear All

Thanks Dixie for this suggestion. I think it is a good moment for the
coalition to think about the "what next?" question, particularly with the
IGF coming up in Baku and all that this implies about human/digital rights!

Standing by for the possible conference call dates..

best
MF

--On 17 March 2012 18:52 +0100 "Matthias C. Kettemann"
<matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at> wrote:

> Dear Dixie, dear all,
>
> I think that's a great idea.
>
> We've just had a workshop on Internet and human rights, with Wolfgang
> promoting, inter alia, our 10 Rights&Principles, and Joerg Leichtfried,
> Austrian MEP, who is also in the INTA committee, saying that anti-ACTA
> protests were Europe's first public uprising - and on ICTs and human
> rights what's more!
>
> The Internet&Society Co:llaboratory initiative on human rights and the
> Internet will have its final workshop on 27 March 2012 in Berlin, where
> we will present and discuss our findings. If you're around, please do
> come (Registration&details: kontakt at collaboratory.de).
>
> Kind regards
>
> Matthias
>

> Am 16.03.2012 18:58, schrieb Dixie Hawtin:
>

> Yes, the IRP is still alive, although it has perhaps been a little quiet
> lately! After having achieved our main objectives of putting together and
> launching two great initiatives - the Charter for Human Rights and
> Principles on the Internet
> (http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/367) and the 10 Internet
> Rights and Principles (http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/397)
> ? there is still really a need to think about what the purpose of the
> IRP now is, and how we can make a useful contribution to the current and
> future struggles to promote human rights within the Internet.
>
> ?
>
> However, in the meantime I think that there is still a strong desire
> within the IRP for us to play a role ? at the very least as a space and
> a focal point for discussions around human rights in internet governance
> within the IGF. And given that the deadline for IGF workshop proposals is
> fast nearing, and given the discussion that we were just copied in to
> (which appears to be one that is cropping up a lot lately) I think some
> action is needed now.
>
> ?
>
> I would like to propose a conference call for all those concerned with
> promoting human rights as an issue at the IGF and during the IGF-planning
> process, i.e. not just IRP members, to discuss what needs to be done over
> the next nine months (are there particular issues we need to highlight?
> particular processes we need to get engaged with? etc.) This would put us
> all in a better position to see what role different groups can play (IGC,
> IRP, APC, Access, EFF etc) and also highlight gaps, and thus hopefully
> for us all to be more co-ordinated and effective. ?
>
> ?
>
> If people agree this is a good idea please let me know and I am happy to
> help coordinate organising the call!
>
> ?
>
> Also, Sala ? you may be interested in this report of a similar exercise
> we did in 2010, gathering evidence of human rights discussion at regional
> IGFs: http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/361
>
> ?

> [...]

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader & Convener of the Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW
United Kingdom
Tel (direct): #44 (0)207 919-7072
Fax: #44 (0) 207 919-7616
email: m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin.php
http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/

Selected Publications

Transnational Communications in Action: A Critical Praxis", M. I.
Franklin & Kenton T. Wilkinson, Communication, Culture, and Critique, 4
(2011) 361-381:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1753-9137.2011.01112.x/abstract

Decolonising the Future: Not to go where Cyborgs have gone before?, in
Interoperabel Nederland, Nico Westpalm van Hoorn, Peter Waters & Pieter
Wisse (eds), Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs. Den Haag: The Netherlands,
2011: 4- 22:
http://www.forumstandaardisatie.nl/fileadmin/os/publicaties/01.1_Franklin.pdf

Digital Dilemmas: Transnational Politics in the 21st Century, Brown Journal
of World Affairs. Vol. XVI, Issue 11, 2010: 67-85