[IRP] [governance] Declaration of Internet Freedom

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin
Thu Jul 12 12:43:11 EEST 2012

Hi all

To follow-up on these points and reflections; the need to keep momentum
up and increase participation and knowledge about human rights issues in
all Internet governance fora has been an ongoing priority, for the IRP
DC at least and all its partners. However, this is a loose coalition,
all labour is voluntary and this lack of human and financial resources
particularly now our website is not functioning puts us on a different
footing to funded organizations. As far as I can tell nearly all of us
have fulltime employment and affiliations elsewhere so it's a wonder the
Charter has come this far, and the coalition!

Back to the current debate; Brett's point about the need to consolidate
the success of the anti-SOPA/ACTA mobilization is one I certainly agree
with. Jeremy's timely reminder however of how not only the IRP Charter,
the Ten Punchy Principles, and now the Five-Point Declaration (not to
omit Max's individually-focused Oath) have not emerged out of nowhere is
one I also think we need to be aware of. This historical perspective is
crucial to maintain not only intellectually (I'm an academic so this
matters to how I view these debates) but also politically.

On this note, the Charter's genesis, and then the process of drafting
are distinct from the consultation process since Draft 1.0/1.1 emerged
along with the 10 Principles. These are in turn distinct from how the
coalition has proceeded to refine the Charter as a legitimate document
(or 'source' for others to work from) and also create an advocacy
impetus (i.e. the 10 Punchy Principles) alongside the more legalistic
and technically focused Charter.

Getting a sense of how the IRP Charter/10 Principles came about, were
written, and then disseminated over these last 3 years does relates to
what came before (e.g. during WSIS, in UNESCO meetings in the 1970's
with the MacBride commission and even earlier) but it is also a very
'live' process so the events of the Arab Spring, Wikileaks, Anonymous
and other issues have also played a role in how younger generations (aka
the 'Google Generation' or 'Generation Y') are starting to perceive the
Web in their lives.

During the drafting and internal consultation process and launches,
numerous forms of outreach over the last couple of years took place on
the ground. Not only online within or beyond this listserv. Whilst
'impact' is not measurable (here I differ from many who attempt to do
just this) in a straightforward sense, these efforts based on face to
face outreach are integral. A lot got done online. A lot got done on the
ground (e.g. outside the "Suez Room" in Sharm, or in empty cafeterias in
Vilnius, or on the steps outside during various 'smokos', formal
meetings, poolside conferences, conference calls, government-sponsored
meetings e.g. in Stockholm, in the classroom or academic seminar, in
social networking sites, and all the rest).

These moments, what really happened and/or who can take the credit etc,
are also distinct from what we do next, and where we do this. And who
'we' are!

For the record, to answer Dixie's comment about whether anyone is
reconstructing the IRP Charter process, I am doing this right now. It's
an academic project (part of a book coming out next year) so this is a
form of "slow writing" (a bit like "slow food"!). However, with IGF in
Baku coming up, and as people have different memories and ideas about
the Charter-writing and consultation process itself, I can provide a
draft outline of the process to date if this would be useful to figuring
out how to create momentum through many charters/declarations as opposed
to fragmentation (as Jeremy notes is a danger).

My point here is that when it comes to reconstructing how we got to the
point we are now, all historical narratives are contestable so the more
input from people with memories and experiences would be invaluable.

2 final points, (1) to nuance my quip about Tweet-sized condensations of
the Charter in my last mail. If this is a way to get another sort of
audience thinking about issues of privacy, FoE, and such like then I
think it would be creative and worthwhile challenge. The Ten Punchy
Principles is a very effective educational and awareness raising tool;
they create debate and raise questions. However, these distilled
versions are only the tip of the iceberg.

(2) I think the IRP Coalition should sign up to the Declaration of
Internet Freedom. Even as a multistakeholder coalition this would be
appropriate; we sent out declarations during the Tunisian and Egyptian
revolutions to this effect. If others think it is not appropriate for us
to join the petition then I am interested to know why not. Baku is also
an IGF meeting where human rights are pressing matters. As an IGF
coalition along with others, e.g. the FoE and Gender DCs, we have a
chance to put the topic on the agenda. There are workshops already
planned and submitted to the IGF. I hope they get on the program!

best
MF