[IRP] IRP Meeting

M.I.Franklin cos02mf
Fri Sep 16 14:31:46 EEST 2011

Dear All

Thanks Dixie for the meeting times/agenda.

Regrettably I am not able to make it to Nairobi despite all plans to do so.
I will be participating where/when I can remotely as have been grounded
that week in London.

See/hear you online 27 Sept!

best
MF

--On Monday, September 05, 2011 10:43 +0100 Dixie Hawtin
<Dixie at global-partners.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> The IRP meeting will take place from 11-12:30am on Tuesday 27 September
> ? put that in your diaries! Please note, even if you can't make it to
> the IGF you will be able to participate in the meeting remotely.
>

> This is the outward-looking IRP event, we will also have a meeting to
> discuss internal issues ? see bottom of this email for more details).
> As an outward-looking event, this is a good opportunity for us to raise
> awareness about important issues and contribute to building a wide
> movement for human rights in internet governance. Coming out of the last
> conference call, our two main aims this year are:
>
> (a) to publicize the 10 Internet Rights and Principles which grew out of
> our meeting at the last IGF ? encourage people to use them in their
> work and to unite behind them; and
>
> (b) to discuss copyright in Internet governance ? copyright is one of
> the main internet freedom battlefields at the moment in many countries
> across the world and certainly at the international level. It is
> underrepresented on the IGF agenda, so we will use our workshop to:
> examine the issue, develop a human rights message, and begin to think
> about strategies for action over the coming year.
>

> Here is a suggested agenda for the meeting (which is 1.5 hours long):
>

> 1. Introduce IRP Coalition (30 minutes) Who we are, our aims/vision, our
> activities since last year -
>
> *10 Internet Rights and Principles
>
> *Other things we have done: Charter Version 1.1 (I don't know if we
> have time to get a Version 2.0 together), Charter Commentary and the new
> website (that Robert and his wife Jenn are developing)
>
> *Discussion: how can we use the 10 IRPs? What role can they play in
> internet governance? How do we make sure they are used in this way?
>

> 2. Copyright in Internet Governance (1 hour)
>
> *Description of the issue: case studies from different countries around
> the world, and at the International level.
>
> *Human rights and copyright ? a discussion about human rights
> approaches towards copyright (both as an issue in itself ? ICESCR
> Article 27, for some background see Chapter 4 of
> http://www.europarl.europa.eu/activities/committees/studies/download.do?l
> anguage=en&file=31731, and in relation to other rights which are being
> violated by the solutions being pursued such as freedom of expression and
> privacy).
>
> *What are the human rights messages? How can we promote them and fight
> back against the practice of cutting down on freedom to protect property?
> Who are our allies?
>

> Questions to the coalition:
>
> *Does this agenda look good? Do you have any suggestions/comments? Would
> you like to speak on any points?
>
> *For the copyright section ? who should our speakers be? What case
> studies should we look at?
>

> Internal meeting
>
> We also need to have an internal meeting at some point during the IGF to
> [...]

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW