[IRP] FW: APC Statement of Support for An Expert Panel on Freedom of Expression and the Internet at the UN HRC

parminder parminder
Thu Sep 15 20:29:52 EEST 2011

On Thursday 15 September 2011 06:07 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> Thanks for all the support everyone.
>
> Note that this panel will focus on freedom of expression.. but it is an
> important start to having other rights in the context of the internet
> discussed at HRC level as well.

I agree.
However, for this to happen these other rights, cultural, social and
economic, and also right to development, have to be articulated and made
visible in global policy spaces. Catch anyone in these spaces and ask
him/ her what does he/she think of these rights, and whether he/ she can
understand and exemplify these rights, and you will see confused and/ or
embarrassed silence. (Other than maybe mumbling something about 'right
to access the internet'.)

Is it that the Internet is not impacting people's cultural, social,
economic and developmental situations in fundamental and structural
manners? We know that this is not true. But then why doesnt anyone know
clearly what these issues are? Why are not concepts and vocabulary
developed around them? Excuse me to repeat my pet peeve: but the fact is
that the global civil society in the IG space has a big responsibility
in this. (In a situation where politically conscious and active civil
society in the Internet governance space - other than some that is
largely moored to the middle, economically on-the-up, class and its
interests - is very under-developed, if not largely absent.) So, hereby,
I do exhort us to discuss, frame, follow and struggle for these other
rights in full earnest. Marginalised people in developing countries
badly want us to do so...  parminder