[IRP] Punchy Principles launch plan - all invited to join in!

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh
Thu Mar 31 02:51:40 EEST 2011

Meryem,

I thought we agreed there would be multiple customizations of the press release - so that many could claim to support our collective international effort.

I'm trying to do a celebrity-endorsed version out of Manhattan tomorrow fyi - if others can round up similar folk to amplify, anywhere, go for it.

Once I know if NYC event is on; and whom might be there, I will let folks on list know.

If you happen to be nearby, please join me, since of course I am not trying to claim credit, just trying to get the thing noticed.  Though NY thing not yet guaranteed.

Lee
From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org [irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of Meryem Marzouki [meryem at marzouki.info]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:42 PM
To: Brett Solomon
Cc: Meryem Marzouki; Irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRP] Punchy Principles launch plan - all invited to join in!

After having read the press release, I have to say that it should have been discussed among the coalition who, after all, is the initiator of the process and the author of all its outcome. In particular, a prominent role is given to the Arabic Networks for Human Rights Information, which is not - to my knowledge - a member of this coalition. The same applies to the OSCE, if I'm not wrong.
The quote from the Arabic Networks for Human Rights Information makes prominent the Egypt revolution, and makes everything start in the Arab world with the jan25 movement, which is not true.
I'm wondering why this organization specifically has been chosen and who chose it.
I hope to see our coalition remaining independent from any interest, and truly international.

Meryem Marzouki

Le 31 mars 2011 ? 00:55, Brett Solomon a ?crit :

Hi there,

The Charter is being launched tomorrow in Stockholm, kicking off the second day of the Expert Meeting on Human Rights and the Internet. There is a stack of interest in them here.

[Dunja Mijatovic (Freedom of the Media Representative for the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe), together with Frank La Rue (UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Opinion Expression) have agreed to launch the Principles. They will do so up on stage and be joined by Arthit Suriyawongkul (Thai Netizens Network), Sally Elkhodary (Arabic Networks for Human Rights Information) and Lisa Horrner]

So, we should match the offline launch with some online activity. Here is the link to the (basic) site where the Charter is (languages should go up tonight: www.irpcharter.org<http://www.irpcharter.org/>)

This is the bit.ly<http://bit.ly/> so that you can tweet it: bit.ly/fglRas<http://bit.ly/fglRas>. Here is a tweet if you don't want to write your own: 10 Rights and Principles to govern the #Internet launched today #fxinternet. Check them out bit.ly/fglRas<http://bit.ly/fglRas>

Please find attached the press release, which everyone should blast out to their contacts in the media tomorrow AM. Attached also is the flyer in English which can be sent together with the press release. Tweets, blogs and press release in non-English all encouraged.

Hope we can make a little splash tomorrow (Thurs)!

Brett

--
Brett Solomon
Executive Director