[IRP] Brainstorm...What do we call the punchy principles?

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh
Tue Mar 22 13:56:40 EET 2011

Lisa,

Looks fantastic, three insignificant ; )  things:

in first line, substitute 'must' for 'should.'

in 1st right, insert 'be' after 'must'

in 8th right, insert 'to' before 'the'

Lee
From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org [irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of Lisa Horner [LisaH at global-partners.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:41 AM
To: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRP] Brainstorm...What do we call the punchy principles?

Okey dokey, looks like I've been outvoted! ;-)  10 Internet Rights and Principles it is then!
(Ian - I just saw your email after writing this....Lee made the point that we don't need an adjective as we wouldn't put together a list of principles that we didn't think were important....hope you're ok to leave it adjective-less?).

Based on everyone's comments, the latest draft is below. Plus an introductory blurb. Hope I've got everything....

There's a big "securing the cyber commons" conference at the Munk school in Toronto at the end of the week.  If we finalise the text by tomorrow, Brett will be able to get them printed to take them along, and also to Stockholm next week.  So if you'd like to make any other comments, please do so now.  I hope everyone's happy with that plan...?
Thanks for all the contributions...this is exciting!

All the best,
Lisa

----------------------------
10 INTERNET RIGHTS AND PRINCIPLES

This document defines ten key rights and principles that should form the basis of Internet governance.  They have been compiled by the Internet Rights and Principles Dynamic Coalition (IRP), an open network of individuals and organisations working to uphold human rights in the Internet environment. The principles are rooted in international human rights standards, and derive from the coalition's emerging Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet.

The Internet offers unprecedented opportunities for the realisation of human rights, and plays an increasingly important role in our everyday lives.  It is therefore essential that all actors, both public and private, respect and protect human rights on the Internet.  Steps must also be taken to ensure that the Internet operates and evolves in ways that fulfil human rights to the greatest extent possible.  To help realise this vision of a rights-based Internet environment, the 10 Rights and Principles are:

1) Universality and Equality
All humans are born free and equal in dignity and rights, which must respected, protected and fulfilled in the online environment

2) Rights and Social Justice
The Internet is a space for the promotion, protection and fulfilment of human rights. Everyone has the duty to respect the human rights of all others in the online environment.

3) Accessibility
Everyone has an equal right to access and use a secure and open Internet.

4) Expression
Everyone has the right to seek, receive, and impart information freely on the Internet without censorship or other interference. Everyone has the right to communicate anonymously online.

5) Privacy
Everyone has the right to privacy online, free from surveillance, including the right to control how their personal data is collected, used, disclosed, retained and disposed.

6) Life, liberty and security
The rights to life, liberty, and security must be respected, protected and fulfilled online. These rights must not be infringed upon, or used to infringe other rights, in the online environment.

7) Diversity
Cultural and linguistic diversity on the Internet must be promoted, and technical and policy innovation should be encouraged to facilitate diversity of expression.

8) Neutrality
Everyone shall have universal, flexible, and open access the Internet's content, free from discriminatory prioritisation, filtering or traffic control.

9) Standards and regulation
The Internet's architecture shall be based on open standards that facilitate interoperability and inclusion of all for all.

10) Governance
Human rights and social justice must form the legal and normative foundations upon which the Internet operates and is governed. This shall happen in a transparent and multilateral manner, based on principles of openness, inclusive participation and accountability.

For more information and to get involved visit www.irpcharter.org