[IRP] Ten punchy principles

Brett Solomon brett
Thu Mar 10 19:49:58 EET 2011

Dear IRP,

Following on from Lisa's earlier email, I'm pleased to send out the draft
ten Punchy Principles for the Internet that have been worked on by a small
working group of people from the IRP. The working group was originally
formulated at the 2010 Vilnius IGF and includes Lisa Horner and Dixie Hawtin
(Global Partners, UK), Brett Solomon and Jochai Ben-Avie (Access,
Australia/USA), Henrik Almstr?m (APC, Sweden/South Africa), Karmen Turk
(Lawyer, Estonia), Shaila Mistry (Jayco MMI Consulting, USA) and Carlos
Affonso de Souza (FGV, Brazil).

The aim is for a version of these principles to be launched together with
the online consultation platform for the Charter of Human Rights and
Principles for the Internet. They therefore accord with the current version
of the Charter. Their purpose is two-fold. Firstly, to help mobilize, shape
and inform the community debate on the Charter (Carlos has made it clear how
their 10 Brazilian principles
<http://www.cgi.br/english/regulations/resolution2009-003.htm>proved very
valuable for the Brazilian Civil Framework for the Internet). Secondly, many
people have said that they need a punchier advocacy tool which can be used,
in conjunction with the longer Charter, as a framework for policy assessment
and campaigning. Note: they are NOT designed to be used as a legal document.

Clearly people will have very different views on these (as we have found in
the smaller group) but I think they are a good starting point for a
discussion. We have done some consultation in our own (Access) community on
this draft, and there was some very good feedback which we are happy to
share.

As I understand it, the draft punchy principles are now open for discussion
here, so that Lisa and the crew can take the final draft forward and put
them on the site along with the Charter. Draft principles below.

Brett

*------
*

**

*DRAFT PRINCIPLES
*

*Universality *

*All humans are born free and equal in dignity and rights, which must
respected, protected and fulfilled in the online environment*

*Accessibility*

*Everyone has an equal right to access and use a secure and open Internet.*

* *

*Neutrality *

*Everyone must have uniform access to the Internet?s content, free from
prioritization, discrimination, censorship, filtering or traffic control. *

* *

*Rights*

*The Internet is a space for the promotion, protection and fulfillment of
human rights. **Everyone has the duty to respect the rights of all others in
the online environment.*

*Expression*

*Everyone has the right to hold and express opinions, and to seek, receive,
and impart information on the Internet without arbitrary interference or
surveillance. Everyone has the right to communicate anonymously online. *

*Life, liberty and security*

*The rights to life, liberty, and security must be respected, protected and
fulfilled online. These rights must not be infringed upon, or used to
infringe other rights, in the online environment. *

*Privacy *

*Everyone has the right to privacy online free from surveillance, including
the right to control how their personal data is collected, used, disclosed,
retained and disposed.*

* *

*Diversity*

*Cultural and linguistic diversity on the Internet must be promoted, and
technical and policy innovation should be encouraged to facilitate diversity
of expression.*

*Standards and regulation*

*The Internet?s architecture shall be based on open standards that
facilitate interoperability and inclusion of all for all.*

*Governance *

*Rights must form the legal and normative foundations upon which the
Internet operates and is governed. This shall happen in a transparent and
multilateral manner, based on principles of openness, inclusive
participation and accountability as prescribed by law.*

--
Brett Solomon
Access

<http://www.europarl.europa.eu/parliament/public/staticDisplay.do?language=en&id=42>