[IRP] FW: [liberationtech] GNI in the news and it's not looking hot

Michael Gurstein gurstein
Wed Mar 9 13:53:40 EET 2011

For those who haven't seen it, I think this group might find this discussion
of interest.

-----Original Message-----
From: liberationtech-bounces at lists.stanford.edu
[mailto:liberationtech-bounces at lists.stanford.edu] On Behalf Of Brett
Solomon
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 5:09 PM
To: Rebecca MacKinnon
Cc: Liberation Technologies
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] GNI in the news and it's not looking hot

Hi,

I'm really pleased to see this thread. There's no doubt that the human
rights implications of (especially proprietary) ICT remain largely
unaudited, and their corporate makers are rarely held accountable. As the
human rights implications of technology expand, this is a situation that has
to change. Right now, the idea that technology could be used to imprison,
track, surveil, or otherwise endanger users has not entered the corporate
thought process of many companies. At the same time, there are some
companies that are fully aware of these risks, and actively have chosen to
put profits over rights and sell technology that has actively supported
repressive regimes. Of course, there are yet other platforms that have found
themselves, reluctantly or otherwise, at the very centre of political
revolutions and human rights defense.

In this space, the GNI has the potential to play an important role - but its
got to start delivering. While not a formal member of the GNI, we've been on
"the other side of the table" with the 3 GNI corporate members and
participated in a few productive GNI conference calls. As Rebecca notes, the
GNI provides a channel of communication between corporations and civil
society. This is useful both in terms of aiding corporations in navigating
situations where human rights are at risk and creating a forum for civil
society actors to share ideas about how to avoid these situations in the
future. As an example of the latter, the GNI has hosted a number of calls on
the topic of account intrusion and wrongful account deactivation and content
removal.

But the question now comes down to 'real world' impact - what has happened
with those discussions?

Like Jacob, I was also at the Soul of the New Machine conference where the
GNI was launched, and I felt like I was sitting in on the reading of an hour
and half long corporate press release. It set an unfortunate tone. In the
two years since then, the GNI has not done enough, its inability to gain new
members is troubling, and its silence on several key issues has been worse.

I don't think however that the GNI is beyond repair. Some thoughts on what
the GNI could do better in the future include: 1) Make sure that the company
audits coming up are rigorous, public and accountable 2) Recruit members
from across the ICT ecosystem (not just large corporates - we need them too
- but smaller and diverse corporations as well); 3) Release more
comprehensive reports like this one about the freedom of expression and
privacy risks across
<http://www.globalnetworkinitiative.org/cms/uploads/1/BSR_ICT_Human_Rights_R
eport.pdf> the ICT sector (which is well worth a read) and 4) Publicly
communicate their activities so that standards are being set in a sector
that is sorely missing them.

However, civil society cannot just idly sit by and hope that corporations
(both those in and out of the GNI) align their practices and policies with
the values that we would want them to uphold. Like other sectors (eg
extractive industries) we need an unyielding civil society that places human
rights fairly and squarely on the agenda of corporations. Access has
launched a few campaigns in this vein calling for accountability and policy
change from Facebook
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/s/Facebook-Unfriend-The-Dictators> ,
Vodafone <https://www.accessnow.org/page/s/vodafone-bloody-handsets> , Yahoo
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/s/ProtectOurPrivacy> , and other major
corporates. I think dovetailing nicely with Shava's initiative, we're
putting together an ISP Freedom of Speech Index which will crowd source and
critique online service providors and mobile operator's terms of service
policies and beyond.

As civil society, we all need to step up to the plate and work to educate,
advise, and monitor the corporations which work in this sector, because they
won't and can't do it by themselves. To further this conversation, we are
convening a conference about ICT and human rights in the summer, where
corporations, civil society, and academics can come together to discuss
these issues. E-mail me off-list if you'd like to be involved in the process
of organizing this event.

Thanks again for this important discussion.

Brett
--
Brett Solomon
Access

-- (Disclosure: Access receives funding from Google, a member of the GNI)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Rebecca MacKinnon