[IRP] Declaration of the Assembly on the Right to Communication, Dakar- Feb 11, 2011

parminder parminder
Thu Mar 3 12:08:50 EET 2011

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 06:58 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> Hi all
>
> One of APC's members was instrumental in developing this.
>
> Have a look, and endorse if you want to.. and I am sure people with
> critical comments too.

Hi Anriette

We endorse the declaration. We think that taking the right to
communicate as a point of departure for developing a civil society
vision for Internet Governance, and then translating into real policy
and action priorities was perhaps a missed opportunity during and after
the WSIS. We still think that even now CS groups should  take up this
task  seriously, rather than just respond to the dominant discourse of
IG in a one-off, splintered manner. I propose that interested actors
join together into an informal group to try this. The world needs a
vision of IG that is other than a statist, corporatist or technocratic
one, and IG space today is ruled by various combinations of these
approaches. Civil society just responds and/ or aligns temporarily with
these different combinations. It will be very useful if we can ourselves
offer a coherent progressive vision, and then do advocacy and make
necessary alignments proceeding from this vision. In fact there are many
actors in non-civil society spaces that will be happy to have a coherent
alternative vision and help in propagating it.

Parminder