[IRP] Call for comments: DRAFT Version 1.1

M I Franklin cos02mf
Fri Jan 7 19:02:18 EET 2011

Dear Dixie, Lisa, and all

Have read Draft 1.1 and would like to commend the amazing amount of work
gone into this; from the first drafting by the Expert Group/Wolfgang
Benedek and others, through to this current Draft.

Could I note a couple of very small points, in light too of the tweaks
Dixie and Lisa want to make to 7 (c).

i) Clause 1 (b) Quality of Service: .... at some point could we consider
also including in the last sentence about innovation an additional point;
i.e. that no-one should have to "undergo centralized [ADD] *or automated* ]
authorization and validation procedures"... ?

ii) Clause 4: Liberty and Security...: Should we not be wary of any
phrasing that explicitly states that it may be "acceptable for a security
measure to restrict human rights"? There has been a vibrant discussion
around just this and for that reason, would it be more prudent to
rephrase/delete this explicit reference to 'restricting' human rights? I
don't feel comfortable with having this door ajar metaphorically speaking,
particularly given recent and ongoing events..!

iii) 6 (a): Poverty Reduction and the Internet: the term 'technology" is
very broad; how about we stick to "information and communication
technologies" for consistency in this document...

iv) On abbreviations, better to write everything in full; not all readers
can immediately translate UDHR, ICCPR, or even ICTs for that matter; we
need to avoid jargon and writing out these shorthand references in full is
not too onerous...

These points aside  - and they could 'come out in the wash' anyway once
consultations begin - and unless others see any major slips or errors, I
think the time has come to start the larger consultation process through
this Draft.

For my part, will be discussing Draft 1.1 with my postgrad. students later
in the term; they've all had a look at 1.0 so are engaged in understanding
this process in interesting ways.,...

best
MF

--On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 15:18 +0000 Dixie Hawtin
<Dixie at global-partners.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I hope everyone has enjoyed their holidays and I wish to all a very happy
> 2011!
>

> This is just a brief reminder that if you have any comments on the DRAFT
> Version 1.1 please send them through by January 8th! DRAFT Version 1.1
> can be accessed at the first link on this page:
> http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/version+1+1+draft
>

> Also, there has been much difficulty in reaching an approach to filtering
> and blocking which everyone can agree on. Lisa and I have had an in-depth
> look through the discussion to date and would like to propose the
> following:
>

> Under Freedom of Expression we should exchange the current clause on
> freedom from blocking and filtering to:
>
> "Blocking and filtering systems which aim to prevent access to content
> and are not end-user controlled are a form of prior censorship and cannot
> be justified."
>
> (Please note, this language in inspired by the Joint Statement on
> Wikileaks by the UN and IAHCR Special Rapporteurs on freedom of
> expression, which is very clear and effective).
>

> Then, following Meryems suggestion, we do not need to address filtering
> for technical functioning here. Instead, under Security of the Internet,
> the provision should be changed to the following:
>
> "Everyone has the right to enjoy secure connections to and on the
> Internet. This includes protection from services and protocols that
> threaten the technical functioning of the Internet, such as viruses and
> malware."
>
> (Please note, in the discussions some people were keen to stress that the
> role of addressing viruses and malware belongs to ISPs and not to
> Governments. The Charter is supposed to be actor neutral, but this kind
> of information can go in the accompanying explanatory document.)
>

> I think this wording addresses the discussions we have been having much
> better than the wording in the DRAFT Version 1.1 so I propose that we use
> this wording unless anyone has any major objections?
>

> All the best,
>
> Dixie

> Dixie Hawtin
>
> Researcher Global Partners and Associates
>
> 338 City Road, London, EC1V 2PY, UK
>
> Office: + 44 207 239 8251     Mobile: +44 7769 181 556
>
> dixie at global-partners.co.uk  www.global-partners.co.uk

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths
New Cross
London SE14 6NW
United Kingdom
Tel (direct): #44 (0)207 919-7072
Fax: #44 (0) 207 919-7616
email: m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin.php
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/pg/ma-transnational-communications-global-media.php

"It is difficult to be sat on all day, every day, by some other creature,
without forming an opinion on them. On the other hand, it is perfectly
possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have
the slightest thought about them whatsoever." (Douglas Adams)