[IRP] Slim Amamou (and other bloggers) arrested in Tunisia

M I Franklin cos02mf
Fri Jan 7 18:46:50 EET 2011

Thanks Meryem for this good advice;

Thanks everyone else for links and ideas that even those (Still) without
Twitter accounts can access/spread!

best
MF

--On Friday, January 07, 2011 17:24 +0100 Meryem Marzouki
<meryem at marzouki.info> wrote:

> For more efficiency, I think it's better to join any action that  might
> be undertaken by the people who are closer to the protesters  than both
> IRP and FoE lists are. Watch out these websites, inter alia  (in English):
>
> - http://24sur24.posterous.com/tag/sidibouzid (events and protests in
> Tunisia, on and off line)
> - http://nawaat.org/portail/ (reporting and cyberactivism)
> - http://globalvoicesonline.org/-/world/middle-east-north-africa/ tunisia/
>
> As well as the press and human rights defenders / press freedom
> organizations websites. Mainstream media are starting to report on  the
> events, but Al Jazeera has an extended coverage, including this  article
> on "Tunisia's bitter cyberwar" at: http://
> english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/01/20111614145839362.html
>
> If you're on twitter, useful hashtags are: #SidiBouzid, #OpTunisia.  If
> you want to follow the twitter account of Al Jazeera journalist  covering
> the situation: http://twitter.com/yasmineryan
>
> One may also join demonstrations and other actions in different
> countries where they're organized. There are some in Paris, and
> Montreal, and probably other cities where there's an active Tunisian
> community, especially students.
>
> Best,
> Meryem
>
> Le 7 janv. 11 ? 16:40, Dixie Hawtin a ?crit :
>
>> Hi Meryem,
>>
>> I have heard about the very sorry situation in Tunisia and it is
>> desperately sad that Slim has been targeted. Thanks for letting us
>> know.
>>
>> I'm just wondering is there anything we can do? An online petition,
>> or people we should send messages of support (or censure) to, or
>> something else? Does anyone have any ideas? I would like us to
>> respond in some way.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dixie

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths
New Cross
London SE14 6NW
United Kingdom
Tel (direct): #44 (0)207 919-7072
Fax: #44 (0) 207 919-7616
email: m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin.php
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/pg/ma-transnational-communications-global-media.php

"It is difficult to be sat on all day, every day, by some other creature,
without forming an opinion on them. On the other hand, it is perfectly
possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have
the slightest thought about them whatsoever." (Douglas Adams)