[IRP] Call for comments: DRAFT Version 1.1

Dixie Hawtin Dixie
Tue Jan 4 17:18:32 EET 2011

Hi all,

I hope everyone has enjoyed their holidays and I wish to all a very happy 2011!

This is just a brief reminder that if you have any comments on the DRAFT Version 1.1 please send them through by January 8th! DRAFT Version 1.1  can be accessed at the first link on this page: http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/version+1+1+draft

Also, there has been much difficulty in reaching an approach to filtering and blocking which everyone can agree on. Lisa and I have had an in-depth look through the discussion to date and would like to propose the following:

Under Freedom of Expression we should exchange the current clause on freedom from blocking and filtering to:
"Blocking and filtering systems which aim to prevent access to content and are not end-user controlled are a form of prior censorship and cannot be justified."
(Please note, this language in inspired by the Joint Statement on Wikileaks by the UN and IAHCR Special Rapporteurs on freedom of expression, which is very clear and effective).

Then, following Meryems suggestion, we do not need to address filtering for technical functioning here. Instead, under Security of the Internet, the provision should be changed to the following:
"Everyone has the right to enjoy secure connections to and on the Internet. This includes protection from services and protocols that threaten the technical functioning of the Internet, such as viruses and malware."
(Please note, in the discussions some people were keen to stress that the role of addressing viruses and malware belongs to ISPs and not to Governments. The Charter is supposed to be actor neutral, but this kind of information can go in the accompanying explanatory document.)

I think this wording addresses the discussions we have been having much better than the wording in the DRAFT Version 1.1 so I propose that we use this wording unless anyone has any major objections?

All the best,
Dixie
Dixie Hawtin
Researcher Global Partners and Associates
338 City Road, London, EC1V 2PY, UK
Office: + 44 207 239 8251     Mobile: +44 7769 181 556
dixie at global-partners.co.uk<mailto:lisa at global-partners.co.uk>  www.global-partners.co.uk<http://www.global-partners.co.uk/>