[IRP] Urgent - Statement on Egyptian Internet restrictions

M I Franklin cos02mf
Tue Feb 1 14:23:22 EET 2011

Dear all

YES> post/send it....

best
MF

--On 01 February 2011 13:11 +0100 Lorena Jaume-Palasi
<Lorena.Jaume-Palasi at gsi.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> [...]
>>> is=
>>>  fundamental for the fulfilment of the right to freedom of expression.
>>> It =
>>> is also an essential tool for peaceful assembly, whether online or
>>> offline,=
>>>  as protected by Article 21 of the ICCPR.
>>>

>>> These restrictions on communications access are a disproportionate and
>>> unne=
>>> cessary response to legitimate political protest.  The UN Human Rights
>>> Coun=
>>> cil Resolution 12/16 states that it is never permissible for any
>>> government=
>>>  to restrict peaceful demonstrations and political activities, including
>>> th=
>>> ose for democracy.  It also states that placing restrictions on access
>>> to, =
>>> or use of, information and communication technologies is never
>>> permissible.=
>>>   This includes access to radio, television and the Internet.
>>>

>>> The explosion of information and communication technologies across the
>>> worl=
>>> d has brought with it unprecedented opportunities for the fulfilment of
>>> hum=
>>> an rights, social and economic development and democracy. These
>>> opportuniti=
>>> es must not be lost through misguided efforts to control online
>>> communicati=
>>> on.
>>>

>>> The Dynamic Coalition calls on the Egyptian government to restore the
>>> right=
>>>  to freedom of expression and assembly in Egypt through removing all
>>> restri=
>>> ctions on communication.  All professional and citizen journalists in
>>> Egypt=
>>>  must be free to report on unfolding events through any media platform,
>>> to =
>>> national and international audiences.  All people must have full access
>>> to =
>>> the Internet, to mobile phones and SMS, and to national and
>>> international m=
>>> edia.
>>>

>>> About the Internet Rights and Principles Dynamic Coalition
>>>
>>> The IRP DC is an international network of people who are working to
>>> uphold =
>>> human rights on and through the Internet.  The coalition is currently
>>> under=
>>> taking a major project to draft a Charter of Human Rights and Principles
>>> fo=
>>> r the Internet.  This applies international human rights standards to
>>> the I=
>>> nternet environment.  It outlines what human rights people have when
>>> operat=
>>> ing online, and what elements of Internet architecture need to be
>>> protected=
>>>  in order to realise human rights to the fullest extent possible.

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths
New Cross
London SE14 6NW
United Kingdom
Tel (direct): #44 (0)207 919-7072
Fax: #44 (0) 207 919-7616
email: m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin.php
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/pg/ma-transnational-communications-global-media.php

"It is difficult to be sat on all day, every day, by some other creature,
without forming an opinion on them. On the other hand, it is perfectly
possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have
the slightest thought about them whatsoever." (Douglas Adams)