[IRP] FW: Invitation 7 December - Self-regulation: Should online companies police the internet?

Andrew Rens andrewrens
Tue Dec 6 17:56:48 EET 2011

In my view the issue of one of governance.

"Self regulation" is often code for no regulation, multinational
corporations doing as they please. That is obviously undesirable. Neither
is government trying to micro-manage uses of technology that it cannot
predict. Also undesirable is the imposition on

I'd be cautious about giving corporations an opt out card to say that they
having nothing to do with human rights. While corporations do have
responsibility in respect of human rights I'd suggest that enlisting them
as proxies for the State is evidently undemocratic. Ironically Internet
service providers are being required to police conduct at the behest of a
state that is itself captured by other corporate interests.Ultimately this
is about corporate interests seeking to use state power to secure its
hegemony.

I'd suggest that issue should be reframed as an issue of governance in
which there are multiple stakeholders, and in which civil society should be
participate directly rather than through the attenuated mechanisms of
representative democracy.
Special attention should be paid to intermediary institutions such as
ICANN, and standards bodies  and their potential as sites for democratic
governance.

Special attention should also be paid to the entire political economy,
including how the current agenda of governments to control the Internet has
been formed.

Andrew

Andrew Rens

ex africa semper aliquid novi (http://aliquidnovi.org)