[IRP] FW: Invitation 7 December - Self-regulation: Should online companies police the internet?

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette
Tue Dec 6 16:06:09 EET 2011

It has been posted previously but Rebecca McKinnon's TED talk is good on
this thread if I remember correctly.

http://www.ted.com/talks/rebecca_mackinnon_let_s_take_back_the_internet.html

I agree with Dixie - the boundaries between self-regulation and
legislation is very thorny... and filled with pitfalls.

Companies cannot, and should not need to be, the arbiters or protectors
of our human rights. Great if they are progressive and pro-rights, but
individuals should not have to rely on corporate goodwill or values
which could change as a result of changes in leadership, policy, or
pressure from governments.

I am not saying that companies are not important players .. they are,
and can play a positive role.

Self-regulation and progressive company policy can be very useful. If
practised in ways that maximises expression it can strengthen freedoms
in cases where there are gaps in the protection of fundamental rights in
national legislation.

Corporate voices can also be powerful in convincing governments to
protect fundamental freedoms...

but ultimately the protection of free nline expression and association
needs to be legislated and due process should be followed when any
restrictions are applied.

Anriette