[IRP] Problem of abject poverty and hunger (was Re: Call notes...)

M.I.Franklin cos02mf
Fri Aug 12 13:00:40 EEST 2011

Hi all

Thanks Dixie for the update and summary of this current discussion;

Obviously I'm all for members of/.in the coalition showing some palpable
support for a crisis situation on the doorstep of the IGF this year by way
of donations; as long as there is a clear consensus here.

Also, happy to help with some sort of statement; perhaps Robert, Mike G,
Graciela and I could see what we come up with and then post for conferral
(the usual approach to date); have been doing some homework re. the
actually situation and links between IG issues and the current - and
longer-term situation. It would be great to have some input from anyone of
the list with experience/knowledge about ICT and refugee camps to help
here. I do know from a research student of mine that here this is a
disconnect; or rather a silence in the literature....

As its the summer holidays for many and we have some time before the
actually IGF, I would also support waiting to hear from more coalition
members....

cheers
MF

--On Thursday, August 11, 2011 14:13 -0300 Graciela Selaimen
<graciela at nupef.org.br> wrote:

> Totally agree.
> I'm keen to helping formulate the statement.
>
> best
> Graciela
>
> Em 8/11/11 1:27 PM, michael gurstein escreveu:
>> I won't be (financially) able to attend in Nairobi but I think that the
>> IRP (and the overall IGC) should take the opportunity to make the
>> connection between Internet governance, Internet Rights and Principles,
>> economic and social development and Internet practice on the ground
>> (including in response to emergency relief issues and practices in Kenya
>> and the region and longer term developmental initiatives).
>>
>> My thought is that the best intervention that can be made is to raise and
>> pursue the issue of the connection between all of thsese within the
>> context of the IGF including vigourously making these connections in all
>> appropriate venues.
>>
>> Developing and circulating an appropriate sign-on statement concerning
>> these matters would seem to me to be the most potentially useful form
>> that our interest and commitment could take and I would be prepared to
>> spend a bit of time with others formulating such a statement if that was
>> the will of this group.
>>
>> Best to all,
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
>> Director: Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and
>> Training (CCIRDT)
>> Vancouver, CANADA
>> http://www.communityinformatics.net
>>
>> Now blogging at http://gurstein.wordpress.com/
>> Tweating at @michaelgurstein

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW