[IRP] Problem of abject poverty and hunger (was Re: Call notes...)

Dixie Hawtin Dixie
Thu Aug 11 19:42:18 EEST 2011

There appears to be strong sentiment from many members of the Coalition in favour of putting together a statement to make the connection between Internet Rights and Principles and wider social/economic justice and freedom, and tie this to the crisis in Somalia/Kenya. Mike has (very kindly!) offered to work on the statement, any other volunteers,  Norbert? Marianne? Parminder? Tapani? Anyone else I missed?

In terms of raising money - perhaps we could choose a charity (Robert suggested this one: http://www.rescue.org/where/kenya) and then people who would like to can individually (or collaboratively) organize to fundraise for those charities  (and let us know if you do!). Is that ok?
The other big thing is that the draft Charter Commentary is now ready! Toby Mendel and Michael Karanicolas of the Centre for Law and Democracy have kindly prepared a draft Commentary on the Charter. The idea of this document is that it goes through the Charter and for each article outlines the foundation of that article in International law. You can download it, or read it online here: http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/node/419. If you have any comments please send them to the list and Toby and Michael will take them on board before the IGF. If everyone who wants to could give their feedback before August 31st that would be fantastic.

Other points:

*Internet Governance Survey: The IGC are organising a workshop to map the IG field. It should (amongst other things) help civil society to be strategic about where we place our efforts and resources in future. They have launched a survey to start the process. Please fill it in:  http://survey.idgovmap.org/index.php?sid=48277

*The Human Rights Council has just issues a new General Comment 34 on Article 19 (Freedom of Expression), it contains some interesting points: http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrc/docs/GC34.pdf

*Don't forget to feed your thought re: our workshop and preparing for the IGF into the Google Doc: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao4pSJn7RgATdEJPcktHUVVxSm1GRnVaZ0p2bTFZdEE&hl=en_US. I will organize a follow up call to prepare for the Copyright workshop in a few weeks time - please start sharing your ideas now!

All the best,
Dixie
Dixie Hawtin
Project Coordinator, Freedom of Expression and Communications Global Partners and Associates
338 City Road, London, EC1V 2PY, UK
Office: + 44 207 239 8251
mailto:dixie at global-partners.co.uk
www.global-partners.co.uk<http://www.global-partners.co.uk/>