[IRP] Problem of abject poverty and hunger (was Re: Call notes...)

michael gurstein gurstein
Thu Aug 11 19:27:33 EEST 2011

I won't be (financially) able to attend in Nairobi but I think that the IRP
(and the overall IGC) should take the opportunity to make the connection
between Internet governance, Internet Rights and Principles, economic and
social development and Internet practice on the ground (including in
response to emergency relief issues and practices in Kenya and the region
and longer term developmental initiatives).

My thought is that the best intervention that can be made is to raise and
pursue the issue of the connection between all of thsese within the context
of the IGF including vigourously making these connections in all appropriate
venues.

Developing and circulating an appropriate sign-on statement concerning these
matters would seem to me to be the most potentially useful form that our
interest and commitment could take and I would be prepared to spend a bit of
time with others formulating such a statement if that was the will of this
group.

Best to all,

Mike

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Director: Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and
Training (CCIRDT)
Vancouver, CANADA
http://www.communityinformatics.net

Now blogging at http://gurstein.wordpress.com/