[IRP] Call: Catch up and prepare for the IGF!

M.I.Franklin cos02mf
Mon Aug 1 12:58:56 EEST 2011

dear All

Just signing in; Like others I'm working to get time and resources together
to make it to Nairobi.

If I could flag one aspect to this year's IGF, and also as a part of the
underlying ethos of the IRP Charter in terms of socially engaged
intervention for humane and sustainable futures; the IGF is taking place in
Nairobi whilst at the same time elsewhere in the country a humanitarian
crisis is developing in the refugee camps where people are arriving
starving and traumatised.

As ICT facilities are also an issue (albeit a contentious and difficult one
given the much more pressing priorities of aid workers) even in refugee
scenarios, and human rights are a link between the coalition's work with
respect to the Internet etc, and in other areas I would like to suggest
that the coalition consider ways to contribute something to alleviating
this crisis (however modest).

As we all about to pay for air-tickets, book expensive hotels, and be
provided with all the hospitality (and resources) the Kenyan hosts can
offer, I am all to conscious of the contrast between such high-level/high
costs events and the human misery basically next door. As a coalition based
in HR discourses and principles this contrast is quite stark and I think we
have a chance here to show solidarity even nothing else.

A fund-raising effort? A theme where we look to focus on how refugee
support, crisis managements, and humanitarian aid is also embedded now in
ICTs? Something in any case.

Back to other business
1) Re. the booth issues; I see Meryem's point; The Charter material could
be made available to any number of other booths so can we look at that
approach?
2) I also second Brett's point about being more strategic in terms of
human-power distribution.

Bye
MF

--On Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:08 -0400 Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu>
wrote:

> Robert,
>
> That's great re helping with TEDx, coordinating with Toyia Stewart re
> website cross-linking would be a start...they're just getting to next
> stage too so timing is good.
>
> Toyia will be visiting Syracuse...I'm suggesting August 26th when we have
> our next WiGiT (Wireless Grid Innovation Testbed) meeting.
>
> That meeting is webcast; and will include maybe 10 or 15 minutes
> discussing TEDx and related events with Toyia; so maybe we in IRP aim to
> have a general plan by then.  Any of you are welcome to hop onto that
> then; and hop off again when we go geeky.
>
> I guess I could offer IRP a 10-15 minute window to intro itself to
> (small) crowd; which will also be in attendance @TEDx next spring.
>
> Mix of universities, companies, government agencies, local &
> international...see http://wglab.net for more info on this option.
>
> Personally speaking I'd like to see IRP values embedded in the WiGiT
> Version 1.0 open specs we expect to unveil... at TEDx. Sooner or later.
>
> And maybe it's a win for IRP starting from inside rather than outside of
> a next gen of tech.
>
> But...if this is too far afield for folks, no prob, we can continue to
> manage on separate tracks and just coincidentally both appear (IRP &
> WiGiT) @ TEDx/Ideas in Motion.
>
> Lee

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW