[IRP] Academic/Human Rights - Columbia

M I Franklin cos02mf
Tue Apr 12 00:21:45 EEST 2011

Dear Al

See below for open letter on petition to free Miguel Beltran.
best
MF

Dear colleague,
 ?
 Please help your colleague imprisoned in Colombia
 ?
 I am writing with a very urgent plea for your help. I need your assistance
once more to defend Dr Miguel Beltran, who has now been detained without
conviction in Colombia for 22 months and who once more faces the opening of
a trial for 'rebellion'.
 ?
 Please add your name to our new online letter protesting at his trial
here: http://www.ucu.org.uk/Beltranopenletter
 ?
 Dr Miguel Beltran is a Colombian academic. He has been imprisoned since
May 2009 accused of 'rebellion' and is currently detained in La Picota
Prison, Bogota, without being convicted of any crime. Colombia is one of
the most dangerous places in the world for trade unionists, human rights
activists, journalists and educators.
 ?
 Dr Beltran is a widely respected academic who has taught at a number of
Colombian universities. You can read more about him and his work here:
http://www.ucu.org.uk/aboutDrBeltran
 ?
 He has published research on the Colombian conflict and is an outspoken
critic of the government. He has been charged with 'rebellion', tortured,
detained for 22 months and is currently held in a prison where 90% of the
inmates are paramilitaries.
 ?
 UCU and Justice for Colombia are campaigning together for the release of
Dr Beltran. We have written to the governments of the UK and Colombia and
we have had an open letter placed in the Colombian press, where it won a
lot of coverage.
 ?
 UCU members have already shown that international solidarity and academic
freedom are not mere words but powerful ideas that we cherish and campaign
on.? Now, I need your help once more.
 ?
 Dr Beltran's trial has been repeatedly postponed, most recently after it
was alleged that evidence against him had been manipulated. However, on 3
May, it will begin again.
 ?
 Please support our colleague one more time by adding your name to this
open letter to President Santos. Add your name by clicking here:
http://www.ucu.org.uk/Beltranopenletter
 ?
 Please then circulate this message to your colleagues, whether or not they
are UCU members. We will then place this letter in the Colombian press in
advance of the trial's opening.
 ?
 Thank you for your continuing support. I will keep you updated on Dr
Beltran's case.
 ?
 Yours sincerely
 ?
 Sally Hunt
UCU general secretary

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths
New Cross
London SE14 6NW
United Kingdom
Tel (direct): #44 (0)207 919-7072
Fax: #44 (0) 207 919-7616
email: m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin.php
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/pg/ma-transnational-communications-global-media.php

"It is difficult to be sat on all day, every day, by some other creature,
without forming an opinion on them. On the other hand, it is perfectly
possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have
the slightest thought about them whatsoever." (Douglas Adams)