[IRP] Proposal for IRP to register as an At Large Structure

Anja Kovacs anja
Wed Oct 6 16:22:36 EEST 2010

Dear all,

It is a great idea to, in due time, push the charter on the ICANN agenda
as elsewhere. However, seeing that the IRP DC is a global coalition, I
would be uncomfortable if we would decide to do so by formally
associating with a structure within the ICANN system that is explicitly
a representation of European organisations.

Also, I don't think it is particularly fruitful at the moment to
constitute "regional" chapters of our global coalition, in case that
would be another option.  One of the things I have valued the most in
this group is the continuous cross-regional collaboration, as it has
fostered greater understanding of each other's perspectives and reduced
existing fragmentation. I would not like to let go of this way of
working at the moment.

Why not instead work more closely with IRP DC members who are already a
member of EURALO, or any of the other regional groupings? In that way,
we would also be able to advocate the Charter from more than one
position. Olivier, Wolf and others who are already engaged in ICANN, do
you think this could make sense?

Of course, this would depend on the willingness and availability of
those already involved in these processes, but seeing the kind of
attention the Charter already attracted during the IGF, I am hopeful
that we can convince a sufficiently large number of people of its
importance, without joining ALAC as a member ourselves.

Thanks and best,
Anja