[IRP] Proposal for IRP to register as an At Large Structure

Meryem Marzouki meryem
Tue Oct 5 12:13:45 EEST 2010

Hi Lisa, Wolf, Olivier and all,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that there are at least
three conditions to join ALAC that are not met by the IRP coalition:

1- Be an organization, and as far as I understand a registered one,
while IRP is a loose (not registered) group
2- Be a national or regional organization, since ALAC is structured
into geographic regional structures, e.g. Wolf is proposing to join
EURALO, which is the European regional structure (made up of regional
organizations having joined ALAC), while IRP is a global coalition
3- Be individual user organizations, while IRP is not only a
multistakeholder coalition, but also a coalition made up of both
individuals and various organizations (NGOs, academic institutions,
IGOs, businesses, governments)
See: http://www.atlarge.icann.org/en/framework.htm for the criteria
and their explanation.

These arguments are only with regards to formal membership criteria.

Most importantly, even if the IRP coalition eventually meets the
"administrative" membership criteria, we need to collectively discuss
from a substantive point of you whether it is desirable for it to
join ALAC.

The first issue I see is that we don't have the human resources to do
this in an effective manner: we already have an important project
(the charter) which is mobilizing the few resources that we can
devote to the IRP work, given that all of us are volunteering on
this. Are we really able to, in addition, substantively participate
to ALAC work?

The second issue, which is related, is: do we want to concentrate on
- or at least dedicate part of our work to - a single, though
important, aspect of Internet governance, namely the domain name
system and some other critical Internet resources, while the very
raison d'etre of the coalition, namely human rights in the digital
environment in a very broad sense (including the DNS and CIR as part
of this environment constitution: remember our discussions on
"layers") is far broader?

The third issue, which is more of a political discussion, is: do we
think that we should be part of the ALAC and other structures of the
ICANN system, thus backing - without any discussion - this system?

These are my thoughts on this proposal. The different issues are
exposed above in increasing order of both importance and  risk for
the coalition to literally sink in an ICANN-dominated discussion.
While it is certainly more stimulating to discuss the third
substantive issue, I would prefer that one of the three
administrative issues provides us with the answer, so that the
coalition may continue to dedicate its resources to our main
collective project, that is, the Charter.

Obviously, since we have active members of the IRP who are also part
of the ALAC members, it would certainly be fruitful that they serve
as cross-fertilizers of both groups: our work on the Charter might be
used by the ALAC group working on the "Registrant Bill of Rights /
Registrar Best Practices" project, and conversely this ALAC group
might be really helpful by bringing inputs to the Charter provisions
concerning DNS/CIR.

Best,
Meryem

Le 4 oct. 10 ? 12:57, Lisa Horner a ?crit :