[IRP] IRP meeting - Geneva May 9th

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak
Sat May 15 15:17:50 EEST 2010

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the summary,
If it is possible I would like to volunteer to help Olivier about how the
coalition can involve in ICANN.
About workshops, I would like to kindly encourage organizers to have more
young panelists in the workshop, maybe the IRP coalition can be pioneer in
its workshop too. there are young experts and I think that youth perspective
for many topics.



2010/5/11 Lisa Horner <LisaH at global-partners.co.uk>

>   Dear all
> Thank you to everyone who joined the meeting in Geneva on Sunday, either
> remotely or in person.  As well as those who made it to the venue in
> Geneva we had about 15 people participating remotely which is fantastic,
> and a large number stayed for the full 4.5 hours!  I think it was a really
> productive meeting, and it was great to have everyone together.  It feels
> like we?re making real progress, both with the Charter and with coordinating
> and cooperating on wider initiatives.  We?ll try and send through a
> transcript or recording of the event, but in the meantime please see the
> meeting minutes below for an overview of what was discussed.  As always,
> please send comments and additions through to the list.  I?m looking
> forward to continued collaboration and energy in the run up to the IGF.
> All the best,
> Lisa
> *Meeting minutes: IRP Coalition meeting ? 9th May 2010, Geneva.*
> *1)      **The Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet*
> ?         Meryem, Wolfgang and Andrew from the expert group n met in the
> morning.  They agreed on the drafting approach and structure of the
> Charter, as well as ironing out some issues about content. Notes on agreed
> points and approach being taken can be found here:
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AbEcBWyGO2nQZGQ4YmM3Z2ZfMTBkYnNodzljZA&hl=en
> ?         In the afternoon the experts updated the coalition on progress
> made so far.  Coalition members were broadly positive about the work
> that?s been done so far, and have agreed to send and substantive comments
> through to the experts for them to consider as they are finalising the first
> draft.
> ?         The experts have promised to complete a draft by the end of
> June. Meryem, Wolfgang, Andrew, Wang and Roberto will be working together to
> do this.
> ?         The coalition will then have another opportunity to comment on
> the draft.  Coalition members should still feel that the Charter is owned
> by them!  We?ll then have another conversation to decide on next steps
> e.g. outreach, strategy, launch, further work.
> Some comments made by coalition members in the meeting:
> ?         As the Charter is quite complex and heavy, we should try to
> produce a user-friendly version of the Charter once we have a solid first
> draft.
> ?         We should ensure that as many stakeholders as possible are
> consulted on the Charter, including civil society, governments and
> businesses. We can start this process at the IGF.
> ?         We need to produce a strategy of what we want to achieve with
> the charter, and agree on whether we want endorsements/how this should be
> done.
> ?         Specific issues e.g. we should avoid presenting copyright as a
> right, and refer instead to the rights of creators; including accessibility
> both as part of right to development and as part of non-discrimination
> principle.
> ?         We can try to keep levels 1 and 2 of the Charter technology
> neutral, and then continually update the level 3 principles as technologies
> change.
> *2)      **Towards IGF 2010*
> ?         Coalition members shared information about the workshops they
> have proposed for the IGF.  We agreed to put together a list of
> rights-related workshops once they have been confirmed so that we can
> coordinate with each other.  We will consider producing a joint report on
> findings and outcomes on human rights after the IGF.**
> ?         Many participants supported the idea of having rights
> rapporteurs at the regional IGFs to report back to the coalition on what is
> discussed regarding human rights and rights-related issues.  Dixie is
> producing a report from the Eurodig, and Marilia offered to report on the
> Latin America and Caribbean event.  We need rapporteurs for the other
> regional IGFs, and even national IGFs if possible.  We will compile our
> findings into a report to present at the IGF in September.**
> ?         We discussed the need to be strategic and coordinated at the
> IGF.  It was suggested that we go to workshops to listen, and incorporate
> findings/issues into the Charter.  It was also suggested that we should
> not only go to sessions that are explicitly about human rights, but also to
> other sessions in order to ensure that human rights dimensions are
> considered.  We could regroup at the end of each day to update and learn
> from each other.**
> ?         The idea of authoring a statement in support of a free and open
> internet to be read out at the IGF was also floated.**
> * *
> *3)      **Other initiatives and business*
> ?         We discussed possible complementarities between the IRP Charter
> and the European Council?s commitment to producing a charter of user?s
> rights in the Granada Declaration.  Miguel provided an analysis of
> progress so far, stating that economic dimensions are being prioritised over
> rights dimensions.  Johan and Lee said that they would try to put the
> coalition in touch with relevant people in the Spanish government (current
> EU presidency), and maybe Miguel could also help?**
> ?         We discussed possibilities for engaging with ICANN.  Olivier
> agreed to draft a one-pager, outlining the main human rights issues and how
> the coalition could participate or contribute.**
> ?         Some coalition members stressed that the coalition needs to
> continue to work on raising its profile and defining its identity.  Other
> stakeholders have commented that it?s still not clear what we mean by
> ?rights and principles?.  LH comment - the Charter will hopefully help to
> address that, as well as continued interaction with IGF secretariat/MAG and
> work on website.**
> ?         Marilia provided an update on the collaborative process of
> defining rights and principles for the internet in Brazil.  She has sent
> more information through to the IRP list, and a best practice session has
> been proposed for the IGF.**
> ?         Johan provided an update on the expert meeting on freedom on the
> internet that is being co-hosted by the Swedish government and the UN
> Special Rapporteur on freedom of opinion and expression in June.  It is a
> closed meeting, but Johan will keep the coalition informed of any outcomes.
> **
> _______________________________________________
> IRP mailing list
> IRP at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
> http://lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org/listinfo.cgi/irp-internetrightsandprinciples.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org/pipermail/irp-internetrightsandprinciples.org/attachments/20100515/1f385d67/attachment.htm>

More information about the IRP mailing list