[IRP] Fwd: [governance] Brazilian Internet Principles

Max Senges maxsenges
Sat Feb 13 19:43:09 EET 2010

Hi there

The post below seems quite relevant to our mission & charter.

I only skim the Governance Caucus list when I find a moment, could people
who actively participate in the IGC please forward relevant conversations to
the IRP list please?

Thanks
Max

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca>
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [governance] Brazilian Internet Principles
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org

Glaser, I have them in simple text. See below.

[]s frats

--c.a.

====

CGI.br
Internet Steering Committee in Brazil

Principles for the Governance and Use
of the Internet in Brazil

CGI.br/RES/2009/003/P
June 2009
http://www.cgi.br
rev.June 25 2009

The Internet Steering Committee in Brazil - CGI.br, in its 3rd ordinary
meeting of 2009 held in NIC.br headquarters in the city of S?o Paulo, has
approved the following Resolution:

CGI.br/Res/2009/03/P - PRINCIPLES FOR THE GOVERNANCE AND USE OF THE INTERNET
IN BRAZIL

Considering the need of support and orientation for its actions and
decisions according to fundamental principles, the CGI.br decides to approve
the following Principles for the Internet in Brazil:

1.      Freedom, privacy and human rights
The use of the Internet must be driven by the principles of freedom of
expression, individual privacy and the respect for human rights, recognizing
them as essential to the preservation of a fair and democratic society.

2.      Democratic and collaborative governance
Internet governance must be exercised in a transparent, multilateral and
democratic manner, with the participation of the various  sectors of
society, thereby preserving and encouraging its character as a collective
creation.

3.      Universality
Internet access must be universal so that it becomes a tool for human and
social development, thereby contributing to the formation of an inclusive
and nondiscriminatory society for the benefit of all.

4.      Diversity
Cultural diversity must be respected and preserved and its expression must
be stimulated, without the imposition of beliefs, customs or values.

5.      Innovation
Internet governance must promote the continuous development and widespread
dissemination of new technologies and models for access and use.

6.      Network neutrality
Filtering or traffic privileges must meet ethical and technical criteria
only, excluding any political, commercial, religious and cultural factors or
any other form of discrimination or preferential treatment.

7.      Network unaccountability
All action taken against illicit activity on the network must be aimed at
those directly responsible for such activities, and not at the means of
access and transport, always upholding the fundamental principles of
freedom, privacy and the respect for human rights.

8.      Functionality, security and stability
Network stability, security and overall functionality must be actively
preserved through the adoption of technical measures that are consistent
with international standards and encourage the adoption of best practices.

9.      Standardization and interoperability
The Internet must be based on open standards that facilitate
interoperability and enable all to participate in its development.

10.     Legal and regulatory environments
Legal and regulatory environments must preserve the dynamics of the Internet
as a space for collaboration.

====

   governance at lists.cpsr.org