[IRP] New DRAFT Version 1.1 taking on board comments

M I Franklin cos02mf
Fri Dec 24 14:27:28 EET 2010

HI

Thanks Dixie for this tremendous work; like others I will respond when I'm
back from leave in early January.

Warmest season's greetings to one and all.
ciao
MF

--On Tuesday, December 21, 2010 16:15 +0000 Dixie Hawtin
<Dixie at global-partners.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> At the following link you will find the new DRAFT Version 1.1 taking into
> account the illuminating discussions that have been taking place over the
> past couple of months:
> http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/version+1+1+draft
>

> The debates have been quite hasty and at times hard to keep up with: this
> is a chance for everyone who would like to contribute to Version 1.1 to
> do so before it is finalized. PLEASE SEND IN ANY COMMENTS BY JANUARY 8TH.
> Then, using those comments, a final version 1.1 will be released for
> consultation!
>

> A word of caution: I have not been able to incorporate every point,
> especially where there are strongly conflicting views or where major
> changes have been suggested without substantial support from the wider
> Coalition. However, Version 1.1 does not need to be perfect, just good
> enough to take outside of the Coalition. So, please do look through this
> Version and if there are things which you think must URGENTLY be changed
> before we finalize Version 1.1, please say so. If there are things that
> you want to change but not necessarily in time for Version 1.1, please do
> still contribute these thoughts as they will inform the consultations.
>

> In the interests of not writing a giant essay, here are just a couple of
> points which I wanted to highlight:
>
> *Blocking and filtering: this was meant to be looked at in a final
> conference call but unfortunately we ran out of time. I have tried to
> take on board people's concerns, however I know the language that I
> came up with is far from great, so if anyone can clarify the meaning and
> language of this provision that would be very helpful indeed.
>
> *The sections on "Human Dignity" and "Equality before the law"
> have been removed because they contained nothing except a repetition of
> the relevant UDHR right, and so they were redundant and looked odd. Let
> me know if you disagree. I do however think that human dignity is a
> relevant concept. Perhaps we could put a clause about human dignity in
> the Preamble?
>

> Furthermore, at the link above you will also find a document containing
> FAQs about the Charter. This is an attempt to capture what the Charter is
> and explain it in an easily communicable way for use both inside and
> outside of the Coalition. If you have time to have a look at this
> document too then please do, although if you only have time to read one,
> please choose the Charter.
>

> I wish you all very happy holidays!
>
> Dixie

> Dixie Hawtin
>
> Researcher Global Partners and Associates
>
> 338 City Road, London, EC1V 2PY, UK
>
> Office: + 44 207 239 8251     Mobile: +44 7769 181 556
>
> dixie at global-partners.co.uk  www.global-partners.co.uk

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths
New Cross
London SE14 6NW
United Kingdom
Tel (direct): #44 (0)207 919-7072
Fax: #44 (0) 207 919-7616
email: m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin.php
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/pg/ma-transnational-communications-global-media.php

"It is difficult to be sat on all day, every day, by some other creature,
without forming an opinion on them. On the other hand, it is perfectly
possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have
the slightest thought about them whatsoever." (Douglas Adams)