[IRP] Outcomes of call on right to access/right to the Internet.

Michael Gurstein gurstein
Thu Dec 9 03:01:00 EET 2010

Shaila,

Thanks for the clarity of your argument below.

(I'll leave aside the "technical" issues of "access to" for the moment--but
I would reiterate my suggestion to attempt to engage with the W3C folks
around this

If I believed that what you are saying/anticipating was correct i.e. that it
would be easier to sell a "Right to Access the Internet" than it would be to
sell a "Right to the Internet" I would have no problem accepting that
position for the reasons that you mention and for Lisa's argument that the
difference between the two positions is not sufficient to delay the process
further. However, I don't/haven't seen any evidence one way or the other.

Three (?) years ago when the first of the "legal" positions on "Right to
(access) the Internet" began to appear I'm sure we all would have understood
that presenting such a position was outrageously (and even irresponsibly)
adventurist (I know, as I made that argument on the Governance list and it
was firmly rejected...

But then countries started to both legislate the matter and to recognize
with their actions the necessity of such a position, starting with "access"
because "access" was how the major arguments were being phrased (viz. the
Digital Divide).

Now we are 3 years on and the tide continues to come in (except in a few
countries such as the US and my own Canada where either commercial or
ideological interests are currently holding sway...

Whether we should or need to pander to these, dare I say antique positions
or to go with the more advanced ones is I guess a matter of taste if not of
strategy... My preference would be to go with the advanced ones at the start
and if necessary make a strategic retreat as might be required.

Best,

Mike