[IRP] Outcomes of call on right to access/right to the Internet.

parminder parminder
Wed Dec 8 20:02:58 EET 2010

Lisa Horner wrote:

> A quick aside ? I have really serious concerns about including a right
> to the Internet at this stage, or at least making it a central
> component of the Charter.  Our objectives are to apply existing
> international standards to the Internet as progressively as possible,
> and declaring a right to the Internet goes beyond that.  I don?t think
> it?s a strategic thing to do at this stage if we want to build allies
> in the international human rights legal and advocacy community,
> amongst quite a large number of governments and in the private
> sector.  We?ve already had harsh criticism on these fronts, and I
> really don?t want us to fall at the first hurdle ? dismissed as being
> not credible ? when what we have in our Charter is so important and
> has the potential to build a strong and broad alliance between human
> rights defenders.  That?s not to say I don?t understand the arguments
> for including it...I feel I understand a lot more than I did before
> thanks to the discussions we?ve been having.  But at the moment we?re
> quite a small and unrepresentative group....I feel we?re at the cusp
> of changing that and are doing something incredibly useful and
> important here, but really don?t want us to shoot ourselves in the
> foot at this stage.

Lisa

I think I am repeating but let me make the case again. I cannot see how
we can speak of rights on the Internet without a right to the Internet.
I think it is politically meaningless, and logically fails to measure to
conception of rights.

What does it mean to say, I am not sure if you have a right to the
Internet, but you have, say, a right to association over the Internet?

I did earlier give the example of how it would be like saying the LGBT
community has a right to association, without being willing to admit a
right to freedom of sexual orientation. The above is similarly
meaningless, and politically empty.

IMHO, I cannot take any such set of Internet rights to qualify to be
rights. This would be a misuse of the terminology of rights to express
some non-universal (club good) privileges.

In any case all the opposition to such a umbrella right to the Internet
that you speak of, in my understanding, will equally be applicable to a
right to access the Internet. So either way we will have to reckon with
this opposition/ reservations. Why dont we do by at least being
internally logical and politically correct and inclusive. parminder