[IRP] Charter Strategy (was FW: Charter of Human Rights and Principles forthe Internet)

shaila mistry shailam
Thu Aug 19 08:23:20 EEST 2010

Ho everyone

I sincerely apologize for the late submission of my comments. Unfortunately, I
have been traveling back to back through out this last month.I have however read
this document a few times and have tried to absorb it and formulate some
comments in a meaning full way. It is good work and I thank the authors for
their efforts. As others have suggested, we can present as a draft and a work in
progress that way we have time to fine tune it and of course work on Section
two. I agree about the " soft law approach  that Lisa suggested and also the
idea of building consensus that Wolfgang suggests. This is a massive undertaking
and  more time and input will enable us to develop it into the instrument we all
would like it to become ....please see my comments below...

Preamble
Second Para the sentence ....?Internet governance must therefore be guided
by.........? till the end should be in its own paragraph as it conveys in a
nutshell the purpose of the charter.

Human Dignity
1 b) ?everyone has an equal right to access to the Internet ....?  Will be
better understood and strengthened, if followed by the same or similar verbiage
used in under 1 c)   Something that state the responsibility of all players to
enable access. As it stands many would dispute that access is an original human
right. (I am one of the folks that fought for this right)
 1 b) 4 Para ... Can we also include after child abuse trafficking of women and
children...

Equality before the law
4 a)  Can we spell out that we mean all individuals regardless of the
constituency they represent ie civil society, government and private sector. How
then do we see the rights of entities...can we address this?

Right to development
5c) Can we add.. ?Elimination of violence against women and children...? since
we are referring to the MDG?s. Also add something about ...enabling education
through the use of technology. Ensure that we don?t create a new illiteracy.

Freedom of Opinion and Expression
6 a) and b) Can we include the responsibility and awareness of not inciting
hate...I know that it is mentioned elsewhere..

regards and hope to see you tomorrow at 8.00 am my time right  ? California time
?
Shaila Rao Mistry

Life is too short ....challenge the rules
Forgive quickly ... love truly ...and tenderly
Laugh constantly.....and never stop dreaming!

From: "Benedek, Wolfgang (wolfgang.benedek at uni-graz.at)"
<wolfgang.benedek at uni-graz.at>