[IRP] FW: Charter of Human Rights and Principles forthe Internet

Michael Gurstein gurstein
Fri Aug 13 17:29:12 EEST 2010

I think the terminology of "people" is probably better than "citizens" which
in a national context could be discriminatory against non-citizens.

This does though, raise in my mind a question--who is meant to be the
"owner" of the Charter.  I'm assuming the UN (GA?) but as we all know, I
guess, the remit of the UN in Internet/digital communications areas is a
subject of some dispute and even (ICANN?) areas of "non-jurisdiction" or in
other case (the IGF?) shared jurisdiction?

This querstion of course, raises very significant issues for the medium and
longer term and may be a mis-direction of energies at this point but it will
need to be addressed at some point.

BTW, I strongly agree with Parminder's point about "multi-stakeholderism"
(which is in fact a sister issue to the above).  The fact that certain
institutions (state structures) are proving less than completely effective
(to a considerable degree as a result of deliberate processes of undermining
their capacity and legitimacy) doesn't mean that we abandon them, but rather
for civil society it should mean that we redouble our efforts to strengthen
them as frameworks for democratic action and expression.

Mike