[IRP] Conference call: Thursday 19th August, 4pm CET

Michael Gurstein gurstein
Thu Aug 12 20:41:42 EEST 2010

I agree with Parminder on the below concerning the term "user" and have
running debates mostly with techies on this term which narrows the spectrum
of concerns/interests under consideration only to those within a narrowly
technological framework.

Some other term such as "citizen" (in the context of "global citizenship"
rather than "national citizenship") is probably preferred and links the
discussion quite directly into issues of the "rights" of "citizens" rather
than the affordances of technologies.

Mike Gurstein

-----Original Message-----
From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
[mailto:irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of
parminder
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:56 AM
To: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: Re: [IRP] Conference call: Thursday 19th August, 4pm CET

Thanks for your response, Lisa.

On using the term 'users' or 'Internet users', I have two issues

One, the rights that we speak of here extend even to those who may not
directly use the Internet, but can , mostly are, affected by it.

Secondly, in the universe of terms describing human beings as social actors,
the term 'user' has been added from the technology side to the existing
terms like consumer and citizen. It is obvious that the term that we choose
to use among all these has important overall implications. What I dont like
about the term 'user' in social discourse is that use of this term seeks to
define human beings in relation to technology rather vice versa.

Thanks

Parminder