[IRP] We Must Protect Net Neutrality in Europe! - Open letterto the European Parliament

Meryem Marzouki marzouki
Sun Sep 20 17:16:33 EEST 2009

Hi all,

I understand the argument put forward by Olivier, Max and Rafik. I
maintain my point. I do know that the intentions of the statement are
good, specially since I know La quadrature du net and their actions
so far. But the statement, as written and already signed by many
organizations, goes too far with important inaccuracies on *basic*
issues of *main* concern to IRP, and not targetting all the relevant
targets, that it would be simply detrimental for IRP to sign it.

Not signing a statement don't necessarily mean opposition to its
intention or even to parts of it.
But signing a statement, for an organization or a coalition like IRP,
is part of the accountability of actions/positions, etc. of an
entity. This is more important, on the long term, than "acting for
the sake acting". The signature of the statement would occur right
after the signature of the Vedro statement (putting privacy and other
fundamental rights at the same level as copyright) with IRP
affiliation. I'm of the opinion that IRP doesn't need such
unfortunate moves, and should concentrate on its core tasks and
principles.

Note that most people from La quadrature du net speaks good English:)

Best,
Meryem

Le 20 sept. 09 ? 12:59, Max Senges a ?crit :