[IRP] layers approach to stratify internet governance

M.I.Franklin M.I.Franklin
Wed Sep 16 11:57:36 EEST 2009

Dear All,

No metaphor is perfect. Still, the notion of the term matrix captures quite
well here the interlocking dimensions that are at stake; symbolically and
in more practical terms. This gives more depth to the image of governance
as complex; three-dimensional, and lateral vs. the more architectural,
top-down/bottom-up image of a building or geological layers one on top of
another.

As Meryem and others have noted, time is short so a pragmatic approach i.e.
converging these ideas from both sides by thinking them out in terms of a
matrix figure, or at least intersecting vectors could be very helpful. It
also represents how the socio-cultural dimensions to the techno-legal
components of this picture are integral, rather than add-ons.

All the best with the final drafts.
MF

--On 15 September 2009 20:15 +0200 Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> and the layer. Moreover, the requirements could be of various sorts:
> legal, economical, technical, behavioral, etc.
>

> Regarding layers, Anriette's list is probably worth to consider, i.e.:
>
> "physical layer (e.g. the internet backbone, radio spectrum, computers),
> a protocol or logical layer (e.g. open standards to ensure all sectors of
> the internet "talk" to each other), and content and applications."
> In my opinion, there is probably a "usages" layer to be added.
>

> Then, and only then, a charter or whatever kind of document might be
> written.
>

> Although this reference is old (2003, but after all UDHR is even
> older:)), you may have a look at page 3 of
> http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis/hris-caucus-input.pdf for
> an example of a translation of the right to education and knowledge into
> different requirements, which can easily fit in different layers.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Meryem
>

> Le 15 sept. 09 ? 16:44, Lisa Horner a ?crit :
>

> Hi all
>
> I think it would be useful to structure the charter on human rights and
> principles according to different "layers" of the communciations
> environment.  The ones I personally findmost useful are infrastructure,
> code, applications and content.  Structuring rights and principles in
> these layers might help us to identify all of the issues and challenges
> involved, and make sure we catch them all.  (nb we did something like
> this int he freedom of expression project - see
> http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk/resources/public+interest+principle
> s+for+the+networked+communications+environment for more).
>
> I think it'd make sense to outline the key UDHR rights in the preamble,
> and then flesh them out as rights and principles in the rest of the doc,
> split into layers.
>
> The point was raised in the meeting on sunday that using the language of
> "commons" might be confusing...it's a fairly complex concept, and is best
> known in terms of the "information commons".
>
> However, there wasn't clear consensus on this in the meeting.  So we
> agreed to try and structure the doc according to human rights rather than
> layers, which makes sense if we're translating human rights to apply in
> the internet environment.  I commented that I thought this would be
> difficult as it would be repetitive,,,,many of the rights apply to
> different issues at different layers.
>
> However, tt's difficult to talk about this in the abstract,  We agreed
> that a good place to start with this might be to look at the rights and
> principles currently contained in the charter and look for gaps, things
> to be taken out and ammendments.  Once we've done that, a clear structure
> might emerge, or we could do both and see what works best......
>
> If anyone has any opinions on this, let the list know.  Then coordinators
> can send out a mail with a clear list of next steps for people to

 and refine this abstract in time to be sent on.

wrote:

> [...]
> agreed to try and structure the doc according to human rights rather than
> layers, which makes sense if we're translating human rights to apply in
> the internet environment.  I commented that I thought this would be
> difficult as it would be repetitive,,,,many of the rights apply to
> different issues at different layers.
>
> However, tt's difficult to talk about this in the abstract,  We agreed
> that a good place to start with this might be to look at the rights and
> principles currently contained in the charter and look for gaps, things
> to be taken out and ammendments.  Once we've done that, a clear structure
> might emerge, or we could do both and see what works best......
>
> If anyone has any opinions on this, let the list know.  Then coordinators
> can send out a mail with a clear list of next steps for people to

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW