[IRP] [charter] right to life liberty and security of person---relevant for internet governance

Anja Kovacs anja
Wed Oct 21 13:39:48 EEST 2009

Dear all,

I strongly agree with the points made initially by Shaila and supported
by others. It is in fact the right to access that I was also trying to
get at in my earlier questions regarding network neutrality-related
rights, but I had linked it too closely to a particular principle. The
very insightful comments here about the more general, crucial importance
of access made me wonder: should we actually address the right to
accessibility (also) under the right to life, liberty and security then?
At the moment, we have mostly interpreted article 3 in a negative
manner, speaking about possible violations.  But what are the positive
ways in which we can ensure the enjoyment of this right? Hasn't the
right to access become crucial in that sense? (we can then of course
still address accessibility in other places as well, including under
Freedom of Expression and the Universality of Rights)

I think we shouldn't, however, restrict the focus of a right to access
to our ability to participate as citizens of a country; we should also
be able to do so as global citizens, especially as governance
increasingly shifts to a global level. Already, differential access to
the Internet has exacerbated global inequalities enormously, and I am
quite sure that the limited access in developing countries affects, say,
participation from these regions (and particular groups within them) in
Internet governance quite considerably, meaning that governance regimes
evolve with developing country interests starkly underrepresented. That,
of course, is an additional argument than to address this issue under
life and liberty....

Thanks and all the best,
Anja