[IRP] [charter] right to life liberty and security of person --- relevant for internet governance

Emily Laidlaw emily
Wed Oct 21 11:13:01 EEST 2009

I agree wtih Shaila. We should not be making assumptions about what
human rights need to be drawn to peoples' attentions and what don't.
I don't think we can assume that anything would be obvious.  If it is
a struggle in the physical world, it is too online.

By accessibility do you mean the right to access the internet? If so,
my first instinct was that it is wrapped up under the right to freedom
of expression as the right to seek, receive and impart information,
but when I think about it more that just does not seem to grasp the
concept of access as a fundamental right.  Although rights such as the
right to assembly, to education etc. all hinge, when it comes to the
Internet, on the right to access information, it still seems
insufficient to me that it would be a principle under article 19.
This might be one of the few new 'rights'. Thoughts?