[IRP] IRP charter and emails

M.I.Franklin M.I.Franklin
Thu Oct 15 12:55:00 EEST 2009

Dear All

My apologies for not being able tele-conference today. Thanks Robert for
setting it all up.

Could I confirm a point of order; now that there are new edits and re-edits
on the Charter, so we start responding/discussing/wrangling about wording
and so on on these two lists? As far as I understand this is so.

If so, is there a cut-off point for this e-discussion for people to
re-enter the charter-pages and re(de)fine 'their' articles?

Cheers
MF

--On 15 October 2009 17:23 +0800 Rebecca MacKinnon
<rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry I wont be able to make the call. I think I may have posted to the
> wrong list about my changes. Can't keep track of so many lists.
> Best,
> Rebecca
>

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Lisa Horner <lisa at global-partners.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> Hi
> ?
> Thanks again Olivier for your detailed comments.? Your points make
> sense...it'd be really useful if?you?could incorporate them into the
> wiki.
> ?
> I just wanted to pick up on one of your comments at this stage as I think
> it's relevant for people to consider when editing any aspect of the
> Charter....
> ?
> -----------
> Article 4: "Detect and actively seek and shut down sites that use the
> internet
>
> to conduct such illegal endeavors"
>
> Is this the correct wording for a declaration of rights? Should this be
> amanded to a sentence providing law enforcement to track such illegal
> endeavors? Does the current article open the door to vigilante groups
> performing the tracking and enforcement?
> ---------------------
>
> I agree with you that this language is dangerous, and?I think we need to
> find the right way of wording these issues in the Charter.? The human
> rights framework does state when and how it is permissible to
> limit/balance rights.? Somebody added this to A.19:
>
> "Content should only be censored or filtered under the most narrowly
> defined circumstances based on internationally recognized laws or
> standards. These restrictions should be consistent with international
> human rights laws and standards, the rule of law and be necessary and
> proportionate for the relevant purpose. "
>
> So I've edited?A 4 to read:
>
> ?* Steps should be taken to prevent the use of the internet for human
> trafficking. However, any steps taken that limit other human rights must
> be consistent with international human rights laws and standards, the
> rule of law and be necessary and proportionate for the relevant purpose.
> In line with Article 19 (the rights to freedom of expression), content
> should only be censored or filtered under the most narrowly defined
> circumstances based on internationally recognized laws or standards.
> * Preventative measures shall be taken by means of education and
> protection of privacy online.
> * Use the internet as a medium to educate protect and inform the public
> on such practices
> * Internet serve as a medium to offer information to those who are
> victims of such practices.
>
> I guess that we'll come across this issue quite a lot in the Charter, so
> we may want to just add a link to another page about what international
> law says about limiting and balancing rights...?
> [...]

Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader/Convener of the Transnational Communications & Global Media Program
Media & Communications
Goldsmiths, University of London
New Cross
London SE14 6NW