[IRP] Fwd: [Charter] Revisions made

Lauren Movius lmovius
Sun Oct 11 19:48:33 EEST 2009

Hi all,

I have not received any messages from the APC list, so am forwarding
this to the IRP list in case it did not go through. Apologies if you
have already received this.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lauren Movius <lmovius at usc.edu>
Date: Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM
Subject: [Charter] Revisions made
To: rights at lists.apc.org

Hi all,

I have made a few minor revisions for article 1 and 2, for which I
signed up to edit. I also included language from the WSIS Declaration
of Principles.

"In building the Information Society, we shall pay
particular attention to the special needs of marginalized and
vulnerable groups of society, including migrants, internally displaced
persons and refugees, unemployed and underprivileged people,
minorities and nomadic people. We shall also recognize the special
needs of older persons and persons with disabilities", as well as
para. 10: "We are also fully aware that the benefits of the
information technology revolution are today unevenly distributed
between the developed and developing countries and within societies.
We are fully committed to turning this digital divide into a digital
opportunity for all, particularly for those who risk being left behind
and being further marginalized." Please feel free to edit if you feel
this is too much text from WSIS.

I have also included some language from the WSIS DoP for other articles:
Article 19: I included paragraph 4 of the WSIS DoP: "Communication is
a fundamental social process, a basic human need and the foundation of
all social organization. It is central to the Information Society."
Article 29: In regards to reaffirming commitment to article 29, the
WSIS Declaration of Principles, paragraph 5, states, "In this way, we
shall promote an Information Society where human dignity is
respected."

Regards,
Lauren

--
Lauren Movius
PhD Candidate and Wallis Annenberg Graduate Research Fellow