[IRP] FW: monthly meeting minutes 17th July 2009

Lisa Horner lisa
Mon Jul 20 12:25:40 EEST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Sylvia Caras [mailto:sylvia.caras at gmail.com]
Sent: 16 July 2009 19:38
To: Lisa Horner
Subject: Re: [IRP] monthly meeting minutes 17th July 2009

Thanks for the minutes!

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Lisa
Horner<lisa at global-partners.co.uk> wrote:

> We discussed how to distinguish between "rights" and "principles" in
the
> charter, and agreed that we would start to look at how this might work
in
> practice.

I think rights co-exist with duties and responsibilities, that there
can't be one without the other.  I'd like us to set this work in the
context of the duties individuals have associated with the related
rights.  And the responsibilities states have in relation to each
other and in relation to their citizens.  I think that lays a
foundation for then claiming rights, clarifying the consequences of
rights implementation.

I like the shift from rights to principles.  In the conversations I am
part of (California, US, ... ), the word rights has been so expanded
in coverage as to not really have much meaning.  My inclination is to
keep the rights concept very narrow and fundamental, and then use
principles to describe how those rights would be implemented and the
duties related to that implementation.

Sylvia

signature database 4253 (20090717) __________

http://www.eset.com