[IRP] forward IGC open consultation statement & endorsement draft

Lisa Horner lisa
Fri Feb 20 16:12:34 EET 2009

Thanks for this Max, it looks good to me.  I wonder if we shoud explain a bit more why we're expanding the focus to encompass "principles".  Maybe in the second para with something along the lines of:

"This new focus on principles in addition to rights is intended to broaden the coalition of stakeholders advocating a Rights based approach to Internet Governance, and we invite all interesed parties to join and participate in our discussions and initiatives.  The inclusion of principles in our mandate will also enable us to  define better what applying established human rights to the internet environment means in practice, examining the implications for internet users and policy makers".

All the best, Lisa

________________________________

From: irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org on behalf of Max Senges
Sent: Fri 20/02/2009 10:11
To: irp; Lee W McKnight
Subject: [IRP] forward IGC open consultation statement & endorsement draft

Dear IRPlers

As discussed below the IGC statement we agreed to endorse and some very drafty lines of support to be read at the open consultations next monday/tuesday. I will leave to conquer some mountains over the weekend so please take this forward without me. We wont have time to raise and tweak controversal points, so i suggest we generally endorse the IGC statement and update the secretariate on our name change and merger process. Please send a quick supportive yes or constructive critique/edit suggestions.
I will check-in on sunday night.

Also - who will be present in geneva and would be willing to read our brief statement?

< : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : >

Please allow us to take this opportunity to share with the IGF organizers and community that our coalition has changed its name from "Dynamic Coalition on an Internet Bill of Rights" to "Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and Principles (IRP)". Furthermore we have agreed to merge the IRP with the Dynamic Coalition on Framework of Principles for the Internet and should have concluded this process in the near future.

Both activities are meant to broaden the coalition of stakeholders advocating a Rights based approach to Internet Governance, and we invite all interesed parties to join and participate in our discussions and initiatives.

Furthermore and on todays subject, the Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and Principles wants to express its support of the assessment and indications brought forward in the statement developed by the Internet Governance Caucus in general, and we want to especially endorse the proposal to have "Internet Rights and Principles" as a major theme at the IGF 09 in Egypt.

Naturally our coalition is working to prepare thematic events on the theme on "Internet Rights and Principles" for Egypt and we are most interested in working with other groups and institutions to ensure that the IGF 09 will be successful in developing insights and solutions regarding this key theme of protecting the openess of the internet as public sphere in which all humans enjoy their basic rights and freedoms.

< : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : > < : >

as said please amend

Best
Max

	Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
	committed citizens can change the world.
	Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

	Dr. Max Senges
	Chair Internet Rights and Principles Coalition

	www.internetrightsandprinciples.org <http://www.internetrightsandprinciples.org/>