[IRP] our proposals for events @ IGF09

Valeria Betancourt valeriabet
Mon Apr 20 21:07:03 EEST 2009

Hi all,

I would like to support what Graciela has expressed.  I agree with the text
but would like to request to avoid the use of the term "value".

Best regards,

Valeria

2009/4/20 Katitza Rodriguez Pereda <katitza at datos-personales.org>

> I agreed with Graciela. Please, delete the world "values"-
>

> On Apr 20, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Graciela Selaimen wrote:
>
>  Hi Lisa and all,
>>
>> Thanks for drafting this proposal. Most of the text is okay with me,
>> excepting for the use of the word "value". I think we should stick to the
>> concepts of rights and principles. In the name of cultural and religious
>> values many human rights are violated around the world.
>>
>> best,
>> Graciela
>>
>> Lisa Horner escreveu:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Here?s my stab at a workshop proposal on practical dimensions of
>>> incorporating rights into IG. I?ll be submitting this on behalf of my
>>> company, Global Partners?it caused much confusion when I tried to submit
>>> last year?s on behalf of the coalition. But I obviously want to collaborate,
>>> and would welcome comments and suggestions. I?m still discussing this with
>>> my colleagues, so it may change. We have to submit it tomorrow.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Lisa
>>>
>>> *Human rights, values and principles in internet governance: Practical
>>> steps forwards.*
>>>
>>> This workshop will examine practical strategies for incorporating human
>>> rights standards into internet governance processes and policies. Building
>>> on the commitment and momentum generated amongst different stakeholders at
>>> the IGF 2008 workshop, /Mainstreaming Human Rights in Internet Governance/,
>>> this workshop will help individuals and internet governance organisations to
>>> take practical steps to protect and expand universal human rights within
>>> their work and activities.
>>>
>>> The workshop will provide an update on the progress made by different
>>> initiatives throughout the year, and explore challenges and opportunities
>>> for their continuation and expansion. Discussion will be rooted in specific
>>> contexts and case study material in order to develop practical strategies
>>> and solutions rather than only theoretical debate. The workshop will be
>>> highly interactive, inviting audience members to feed in their experiences
>>> and ideas. It will provide a space for furthering understanding about human
>>> rights and internet governance, and for fostering collaboration between
>>> stakeholders from the business, civil society and government sectors to
>>> address critical issues.

Valeria Betancourt
Coordinadora / Coordinator
Programa de Pol?ticas de TIC en Am?rica Latina / Latin American ICT Policy
Programme
http://www.apc.org/es/about/programmes/programa-de-politicas-de-informacion-y-comunicacio
http://lac.derechos.apc.org
Asociaci?n para el Progreso de las Comunicaciones / Association for
Progressive Communications, APC
http://www.apc.org